How Do You Keep Snakes Out of Your Garden Ponds?

Reaction score
Wow snakes are something we don't have to deal with here in England but I guess they can be a real problem.

How big do they get as Marty looks kind of cute and quite small so I think the Koi would give him a run for his money!!

Could a snake be the answer to 'The Fish All Gone' thread athough I would find it hard to believe they like the cold weather!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Nothing to do with snakes,,
Years ago i lived on the farm and had chickens, one dog i had liked to eat them ,So [ they ] said , Tie the chicken around his neck and that will break him.. He carried it around and ate it like i packed his lunch.
It stopped when the chickens were all gone

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
Kaysavage said:
How big do they get as Marty looks kind of cute and quite small so I think the Koi would give him a run for his money!!

Thanks about Marty. :banghead3: I only had little comets in my pond. They were just the right size for Marty. But the only time I ever saw Marty eat a fish was when I ran the hose through the pond to flush it out. The water would overflow and some of the comets would swim over the side where Marty was waiting for them. I never saw Marty trying to eat them in the pond itself.

migsly

Banned
Reaction score
Btw, the water is well water. Please don't use city water to flush out your ponds.

Reaction score
I have used mothballs to get rid of roaches and rats and it works beautiful! BUT mice totally ignore them! Never heard anything about repelling snakes but I do have a question. I have rat snakes in my pond one was 2 ft long and one was about 4 ft. What size fish can they eat like is a 6 inch fish too big? I also have no frogs when the snakes are there but they do not stay.

Ask a Question