How fast do Koi grow

Reaction score
What kind of growth could I expect to see out of the smaller Koi sold at places like Petsmart?

I have heard an inch per year, but it was not from any type of reliable source.

thanks,

Terry

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I heard something like "you will see them double in size each of the first 2 years and then 1 inch each year after that" but I am not sure how true that is however the person who said that had at least 4 koi over 2 feet long and has hundred of koi so it may be correct. Obviously there are lots of veriable that will play into this.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
In an ideal pond environement, my 1year olds are 6-8" and my 2 year olds are 12-14". Some grow faster than others.
They grow slower in a tank indoors.

Reaction score
a general rule of thumb is that at 24 months, they will be half of their adult size. So, at two years old, if you've got a 10 inch koi--it will likely be around 20" when full grown. (of course, this is all bearing on a nice roomy pond--otherwise, it can stunt the fish and it will be smaller.)

Reaction score
I read recently, perhaps on this forum, that regular water changes affect the growth rate also. I guess the fish put out a growth regulating substance from their gills and the water changes keep that level down in the pond so they grow bigger.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Please dont blame me, but I have a 30 gal pond that was attacked by raccoons recently and they got my 3 goldfish and all my trapdoor snails. My neighbor, in all her sweetness heard about it and got me 2 Koi to replace my lost fish. Now I know better than koi in this small pond but she did not. I love these two fish. They have wonderful mottled colors and I sure would like to enjoy them for awhile. They are about 4 inches long. I know, one, the pond is too small, and two, I should not have two new Koi in an outdoor pond in fall. But its done. Ive ordered fall food, a thermometer and netting to protect from fall foliage. Now, Im wondering how long I will get to keep them before I have to rehome them. (If they survive at all.)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Please dont blame me, but I have a 30 gal pond that was attacked by raccoons recently and they got my 3 goldfish and all my trapdoor snails. My neighbor, in all her sweetness heard about it and got me 2 Koi to replace my lost fish. Now I know better than koi in this small pond but she did not. I love these two fish. They have wonderful mottled colors and I sure would like to enjoy them for awhile. They are about 4 inches long. I know, one, the pond is too small, and two, I should not have two new Koi in an outdoor pond in fall. But its done. Ive ordered fall food, a thermometer and netting to protect from fall foliage. Now, Im wondering how long I will get to keep them before I have to rehome them. (If they survive at all.)
They probably need a bigger home now, assuming you meant to say 30 gallons. The season isn't what I'd be concerned with as much as with filtration/water quality issues. That was sweet of your neighbor, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
thanks, I was afraid someone would say that. They seem content for now. I may just overwinter them and see who can take them in spring. I know of a couple of koi ponds. I sure hate to lose them and it makes me more determined then ever to get a koi pond of my own someday! Heres one I could get a clear pic of.
image.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How cold do your winters get? Is there any way you can move them indoors (basement or garage) for the winter, and maybe provide them with a larger living space? I would be concerned that they may not survive long. I have a single GF (about 5-6" long") in a 20 gal aquarium, and that is pushing it big-time. Lots of filtration and lots of water changes -- plus, just not a lot of room to move around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Our winters are relatively mild most years. The pond may crust a bit (which I will break) but the ice wont get thick. We dont get heavy snow where I live. I have a filteration unit much larger then the pond needs and I have to clean it every couple days due to the fountain that clogs up easily. Im good about the maintenance because the pond is right next to my front door. The pond sits in the corner of my house so its protected from the worst of winter winds. I dont have a way of bringing them indoors.
image.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
also depends on the food you give them .I have never given my koi growth food and they are around 2 feet long after 12 years and were only an inch or 2 long from the koi farm

Ask a Question