how fast/large do shubunkin goldfish grow

Reaction score
Thank you addy I take that as a really big compliment because I really do work hard to keep my goldies happy and healthy I'm sure you do too and aww I'm sorry to hear about your plants but the good news is that bulbs are fairly strong plants so I'm sure they will return and bloom into beautiful plants and I know koi are harder to care for but personally I can't help but love the size they get to be only if they keep a good body shape of course

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They do get big, we are on the go so much I need self sufficient fish. Even have a auto feeder I use when we leave town.

Reaction score
Thank you that sounds like music to my ears because if these babies can get that big I would be the happiest goldfish owner in the world at this point my fish are fattening up quite well but the 2 new shubunkins are still way too nervous to eat at the top so I have to leave so they can eat and they also do not seem at all interested in trying out the different foods in feed...any idea what I should do

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just keep trying, mine are not feeding yet either. Still a little cold, and they are tiny. I see them eating off the sides of the pond, nibbling on the algae growing, so they are fine. Very skittish still

Reaction score
Sorry I should have clarified that when I said babies I didn't mean actual babies lol and I was referring to the 2 shubunkins Goldfish I bought 3 days ago and that I have them in a holding tank at the moment with a heater that keeps the water at about 70 degrees so they are not hibernating at the moment just new and Scittish but worrying me because they do not eat only one of them is adventurous enough to go 100 miles per hour grab food and dart down like a lightning bolt

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing give them time, new environment, new sounds, new look They will eat.

Reaction score
Hahah that's ok i should have been more clear and yeah I will wait a few more days before I worry so much, my goldfish would not even come near the surface last year for a month and now the second i touch he door knob in the garage they are at the top with mouths wide open waiting for dinner

Reaction score
Shubbies can be a little crazy. After almost three weeks in the quarantine tank, Spooky Fish still tried to hide when I came in the room. This in spite of the fact that I made a point of only coming in the room if I was going to feed him. He wasn't spooky in the tank at Petsmart, so I went back and picked out a couple of pretty little fish from the $0.13 tank and put them in with them. That did the trick. I wasn't any where near as scary as the propect of his tankmates getting the food. He's fine now.

My other shubbies are better, but they aren't as calm as the comets and commons. Pretty Baby ate from my hand when he was in the quarantine tank. In the pond he approaches the pea, but usually panics before he can take it off my finger.

Reaction score
hahah yeah that is true but today i noticed my shubbies actually came to the top of the tank and ate even though i was right there looking down at them, i guess my really comfortable fish have rubbed off on them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
talal , re breeding behavior of goldfish it is still a little early here to see anything and I would assume the same goes for Canada. Once they start it is pretty hard to miss if you have at least a few males and a female in an outdoor pond. The fish may not be very hungry once breeding starts because they are busy gobbling up all the eggs.I had two fry last year make it and they are doing fine now. From what I understand partial water changes encourages them to breed along with the natural change in temperature from cold at night to warm during the day in the Spring.

Reaction score
thank you, i think your right it is a deffinate thing when they breed...i will have patience and wait, i am not really intrested in breeding my goldies but if it happens naturally i would not mind at all lol

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
shubunkins can grow at considerably different rates in the same exact environment. I have some that were bought from the same batch at the same time two years ago, some are about 4-5 inches long where one is well over 10 inches, all six were about a inch or so long when I bought them, I also bought one last fall that was about 2 inches when I got it and it's already close to six or seven inches long, weird thing about him is he rarely eats fishfood, he always grazes but he loves english peas and and watermelon. Sarrasas, comets, shubunkins, all are the same species of fish, It is stated that they can reach 2 feet. I've seen pics of some 16 but that's about the biggest that I would actually believe without seeing it with my own eyes, more commonly most goldfish in ponds usually stay under about 12 inches with 15" being pretty darn rare. I'm sure some genetics have some to do with it too, but how many times to you get to buy goldfish that you know what the parents even looked like?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing we should ask to see the parents before we spend the dollar.

Reaction score
hahah addy good suggestion, we should demand to see the parents and yeah fish4cars it is true genetics do play a major role in fish growth even if they are cared for perfectly which is kind of impossible anyways

Reaction score
Well, My shubunkin is About 10 inches and hes 4 years old, My other one is 6 Inches and about 7 months old, hes grown quite fast. about a inch every month, its slowing down now but i have a good feeling hes gonna get as big as my other one : PorkChop!! LOL :luxlove: 388679_2833013787081_1311242337_3170823_1428922290_n.jpg

Ask a Question