• 50+

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • None

Votes: 2 7.4%

• Total voters

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
actually its more like they own me... i'm their slave.. i fix and/or serve their meals.. i clean their home..i tend to their needs... i even care for their children. and all this costs me,not them. now..who really owns who?
p.s and not so much as a thank you!!

Reaction score
Can not get a good count. They will not sit still long enough. I started with 4 this spring but they have added numerous fry/juveniles. Every couple days I see a few new ones that I had not seen the last visit. Hopefully they will slow down. I need to find some new homes for some.

Reaction score
I only have three koi and two goldfish ... but the mosquito fish keep breeding and breeding. They even migrated from the main pond up the newly installed creek and into the upper pond.

Now that summer has come, they've also gotten to know me. When I first put them in the pond over a year ago, they fled from me in terror. Now they know me as "David, the Giver of Food."

Whenever I climb into the pond to clean out the pumps or rearrange the plants, the mosquito fish attack and nibble on my chest and arms. I'm glad they don't have teeth. As it is, I feel as though dozens of fingers are lightly tapping at me.

Reaction score
All I know is since I put my Koi in the pond last weekend...I haven't seen them since. I'm thinking I'm in need of one of those friendly and outgoing Chagoi's. Mine turned shy on me. Which is good considering an Egret has since discovered my pond.

Reaction score
At the end of 2008 winter my fish died, except 2. This is the 2nd time In the 10 years of ponding,this has happened. Lottts of snow covering the ponds is a problem. My tranquil friends lost to me forever.{Sound kind of melodramatic? I felt that way } 4 were koi, there were about thirty others that were shassas, fantails or muts. Said I'd never get any more fish----WRONG. I now have 2 butterfly koi 1 standard koi, 2 fantails & 2 goldies. I'm determined to see them through this winter!

BBK

Reaction score
[quote name='CJ'sPOND']At the end of 2008 winter my fish died, except 2. This is the 2nd time In the 10 years of ponding,this has happened. Lottts of snow covering the ponds is a problem. My tranquil friends lost to me forever.{Sound kind of melodramatic? I felt that way } 4 were koi, there were about thirty others that were shassas, fantails or muts. Said I'd never get any more fish----WRONG. I now have 2 butterfly koi 1 standard koi, 2 fantails & 2 goldies. I'm determined to see them through this winter![/quote]

Have you thought about adding a heater? I threw a heater in mine and it kept a 6" circle open in the pond last winter. The rest of the ice was only 1/4" thick. Even through -20 temps, my pond stayed open.

Reaction score
Ice is not the problem, I have two heaters, one in each pond. {I am so proud, we built them ourselves from a design by a man named Bickal who has a Koi farm in Iowa}When it doesn't snow or when I can get back there to clear the snow from the top of the heaters, all is good. It is the 10 to 15 inches & the drifts of snow makes it impossible to clear that a problem occures. Need to invent a way to keep at least the heaters from getting covered up with snow. Working on that.

Reaction score
I had read somewhere that if you put a log in the water it prevents it from freezing solid. Anyone know if this is true? Doesn't seem like it would work. I can think of times I've been on a body of water and seen a log frozen in it.

Ask a Question