How to best stop leak

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
BOX.JPG

This is the best photo I could get to describe the problem. There is a leak between the box and the rocks. I put flat rock there yesterday to redirect the water. Today I put a lot more rock up to the level of the top of the box. I think it's helping to redirect the water to go into the pond, but it's difficult to tell with certainty. I know we have a leak somewhere and there have been leaks in that area before. I guess the rocks shift over time. I probably helped it along when I caused the some of the big rocks to shift when I was getting out of the pond after cleaning the pumps. Clumsy.

Since I know nothing (yet) of pond construction, I don't know if this is the way waterfalls are usually designed or if it is not the most efficient construction of a waterfall. Is there something else besides rock I can put up against the box to stop that leak?

Also, the water level seems to be 4-6 inches lower because of the leak. If we have another hard freeze and lots of ice, that reduces the water level even more. Today the water temp was 41. Can I add water without harming the fish since they are dormant? Do I have to add any chemicals? Should I just leave adding water until spring? The pond's about 4 feet deep, about 12 feet long and roughly 6-7 feet wide.

TIA.

Reaction score
Have you tried putting a liner under the rock?
Feel free to add water. Seems like a good size pond. The temperature change should be minimal. If you have city water with chlorine in it, you should add a dechlorinator to the new water.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of my rocks i.e. water falls or even in streams, I had to watch until the second season. The new build, dirt, etc does shift, settle, move around then gets stable.
I don't recall all you did, when I do water falls from pots boxes etc I always put some liner under the rocks, right up to the lip of the box, then use pl roofing goop to attach the liner to the object. That, for me, has kept the water flowing into the pond.

Then if there is still areas where the water wants to flow the wrong way, under rocks etc, I use the waterfall foam to direct the flow of the water. It still weeps, ie not water tight, but does a good job directing it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Thanks for all the replies and information. The guy who built the pond did not put liner all the way up to the top of the box where the water flows. Great idea!

So get a piece of liner and put it up against the box and underneath the waterfall rocks?

I have never heard of waterfall foam, but I am new to caring for my own pond. I'll look for it. It's kind of fun to take care of my own pond. I just hope I don't make a mistake and wreck it or harm the fish somehow. I have never added a dechlorinator when adding the new water. What kind? How much? The pond guy always had us use Melafix, yet none of the koi appeared sick. Maybe he wanted to head that off or support health.

Thanks again!
:)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are on city water, any type of dechlor will work. We have well water so don't worry about it.
Make sure your piece of liner in laying on top of whatever liner they put under the rocks and slightly curved to direct the water to flow down , like a chute.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
OK, will do. Thanks very much. :). I guess I calculate how much to use based on the number of gallons of water....which I don't remember. Maybe my better half remembers. My back is paying the price for all that stretching and bending to place the rocks to try to stop the leak.

Do anyone here use Melafix?

Last edited:

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Melafix is good for treating minor bacterial infections. It SHOULD NOT be added to a pond on a regular basis, nor should any other medical treatment. Call your water supplier to determine whether Chlorine or Chloramine is being used as the water disinfectant. All DeChlor treatments WILL NOT neutralize Chloramine. Read the product label first to determine if you have the appropriate product.

Waterfall foam is not waterproof, but is used more to divert water i.e. over rocks instead of under.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I would take all the rocks off the waterfall for now until the leak is fixed cause extra rocks could just back the water up further and cause more water loss. Once the rocks are off you will have to turn off waterfall and fix it good. The waterfall foam can help redirect the water but you still will need to first put the liner back in place proper.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thanks for all the replies and information. The guy who built the pond did not put liner all the way up to the top of the box where the water flows. Great idea!

So get a piece of liner and put it up against the box and underneath the waterfall rocks?

I have never heard of waterfall foam, but I am new to caring for my own pond. I'll look for it. It's kind of fun to take care of my own pond. I just hope I don't make a mistake and wreck it or harm the fish somehow. I have never added a dechlorinator when adding the new water. What kind? How much? The pond guy always had us use Melafix, yet none of the koi appeared sick. Maybe he wanted to head that off or support health.

Thanks again!

Its great stuff. While I agree with everyone here about raising the liner the foam can also be a great barrier.

Here's a video. Basically you spray it in, let it sit for a few hours. Great for waterfalls filling in cracks.

One of the best prices here:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AQ0FVC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You will find this is the BEST forum for help :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Shoot. I cannot see that video. The plug in is vulnerable and needs updating. I leave that tech stuff to my better half. Maybe tonight.

So far so good with the work I did last week.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada

Thanks again!

Take all of the rocks out of the waterfall path. Run the waterfall and watch the water. If you're losing, you'll see where you're losing. When you add the secondary liner up to the waterfall filter/box/whatever, make sure that the secondary liner is placed over the first with at least a foot overhang on the underlying (existing) liner at the lower end. Put all the stones back, foam the gaps, when the foatm is skinned over, stick small stones into the foam to disguise it.

If you're going to use waterfall foam, practice first. Wear disposable gloves, it's a bee-atch to get that stuff off of your skin. Good luck, sounds like a relatively easy fix.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Be sure to check the label on the foam. I can't remember the air temp that it needs to be for it to cure but i think it is about 60 degrees. Gloves and old clothes are a good idea too.

gloves are essential!!! I made the massive mistake not doing that and parts of my fingers were black for almost a week. you cant get that stuff off!

Ask a Question