How to plant a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am installing a gravel bog but my water level is a little lower than expected, about 4-6" below the top of the gravel. Should I place my plants deep in the gravel to get them into the water more or keep them high and let their roots only get to the water?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most of my plants do fine with either just roots in the water, or the crown and roots in the water. I would plant them so the roots were wet, they should do fine.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You will probably find that your gravel settles over time, bringing your water level up. We added more gravel to the top of ours this spring as I felt the water level was actually getting a bit too deep.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine settled a lot, I did add some gravel in a few areas, left water over the gravel in other areas. The birds love to bath in the bog

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
007.JPG
005.jpg
007.jpg
I can't even see my gravel anymore! I have some low areas as well. This is my bog day one and now-

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Thank you for your feedback everyone. I know if u plant a land plant too low in the soil they rot, being that these plants r in gravel I most likely don't need to worry about that?

Beautiful bog mrsclem!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
You still want to keep the crown of most plants above water. Irises and cattails don't seem to mind deeper water, but I've found other plants don't tolerate being flooded quite as well.

ZmanArt007

Fish Keeper and Filmmaker
Reaction score
Sometimes Los Angeles, Sometimes Nebraska
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
You still want to keep the crown of most plants above water. Irises and cattails don't seem to mind deeper water, but I've found other plants don't tolerate being flooded quite as well.
My irises hated being in my pond. They rotted out and nearly died within a month. Their crown was only about an inch below the water.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
and my iris and land day lilies grow like weeds in the bog, crowns under the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I'm not explaining myself well enough apparently. Hmm, if I plant my plants so that the crown is just above the water level they will be about 3-4" below the top of the gravel. Would that be a problem?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the roots are short, scoop out some gravel to make a depression to plant them in. I would not bury the crown under the gravel, they may do ok but may not also.

Ask a Question