Huge shubunkin

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well my ol shubunkin gal is HUGE and just keeps getting BIGGER! She's not a spring chicken anymore and last fall she was fat but now she is soooo ginormous that most of the time she spends her day at the bottom of the pond only coming up when I feed. I tried to gently squeeze her but nothing...maybe I didn't squeeze hard enough or in the right place. Any suggestions as to what to do? My old goldie (who is like 14 was big last year but no were near what my shubunkin is this time!!) I should of taken a pic of her but it's raining....again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Geezer status goldfish. Hope she's not sick. I have a ryukin like that. She's a two hander when full of eggs. I'm guessing it's cold still over at your area?

No males around?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Hopefully you can get a picture, to share with us. I'd be very careful about squeezing her. I'm assuming you believe she's egg bound? Hoping she's ok.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have a couple of comets like that, they just ballooned up one year and stayed that way forever. It's been a couple years now. Eat and swim fine just a big balloon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here is a photo of my poor ol shubunkin...she look miserable and is fat as can be and has been for months now as even last fall she was bigger but now she is just plain HUGE. Size wise I took a pic of one of my comets by her. She's like 13 years old Any ideas?

Attachments

• fat fish 2.jpg
    fat fish 2.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 1,129
  • fat fish 1.jpg
    fat fish 1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,854
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
gee I wonder if she has menopause....I can relate well the fat part lol might just be her last hurrah!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Yeah impacted with eggs. Like one of my fish.

You need the temperature to be 20C for several days for her to let the eggs out. Th weather is not helping.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Only my opinion, but I believe she is "pine coning", often a sign of Dropsy :( The second picture , clearly shows the scales "pine coning".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Looking at the picture, I will take it back and say it's dropsy. The whole body is involved and not just the belly like in egg impaction.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
hum in reading about dropsy I'm not sure thats what it could be...still thinking egg bound. I do a 10% (and sometimes more) water change like every 3 days due to evaporation in the warmer months, she still comes and eats when I feed and she is not lethargic as she swims all over the place when she see's me come. Our weather has been a pita as it's hot then chilly then sunny then raining like no other...wonderful good ol nebraska spring weather in other words. Guess I can move her over to the new pond and see what she does but gotta check the ph levels in there as all this rain were having has caused it to turn tan/brown...and I know it hasn't matured yet...arg darnit anyway if it is dropsy as she's an older fish (like 14 yrs old) and I've had her for the past 6. She was fat last fall and now even fatter, I dont know how much bigger she can get!! poor ol gal...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
You wont lose anything by injecting her with a broad spectrum antibiotic for 3-5 days.

Ask a Question