Human stupidity & cruelty have no limits...

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I got an emergency rescue in already this morning at 5:22 AM and the circumstances are truly depressing so not for the faint of heart. The turtle is a false map female who from my judgment looks to be around 10 months to a year old and is in barely stable but survivable health which is shocking considering what it went through. The poor girl was brought to me by a "anonymous surrender" which is a fancy way of saying a civilian who is willing to step in and be a good somebody but does not ask for credit nor do they want to be involved with reporting the owner. I can pursue that on their behalf as a function of the rescue in cases like this one which have overwhelming evidence so the sorry owner will hopefully get prosecuted because I will do all I can to try and make sure that happens.
The turtle was found in a home where there were a total of 5 turtles in a 75 gallon tank which is the first stupid and cruel part but it gets worse. The owner had went on vacation and thought that week feeders would suffice for 16 days somehow and sadly 4 of the turtles died of starvation while the one I got in rescue survived for roughly 8 days while 4 turtles were already dead and decomposing in the tank she was in. They were most likely siblings or at least had been together all their lives. I can not imagine the stress of being hungry and without interaction and food while watching 4 of your tank mates die and start to rot around you as the turtle that survived was probably preparing to endure the same fate soon because I have only seen one other rescue that was this near to death. I am not going to share the images for obvious reasons but once I get the surviving turtle cleaned up and her weight and vitamins stable will share her images though. I also did something I never really have had to do before which was take in the 4 deceased turtles into the rescue only for burial in the small cemetery I have created for turtles and any fish that have died but I never intended to have to use it like this. Anyway thank you for the support this forum provides to the moral and encouragement to keep up the rescue, and I really mean that :) and sorry for the sad story but the truth should be told is my stance always.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unreal, I would turn them in, maybe they won't be able to ever have turtles again.
I hope the survivor makes it

Reaction score
Country
United States
Unfortunately this kind of thing happens with all types of animals. People have moved and left pets behind locked in an empty house or yard. Never to check on them again and only getting help if and when someone realizes they are there.

I hope this turtle pulls through

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Just keep fighting the good fight, people should need a license to purchase any live animal.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I got an emergency rescue in already this morning at 5:22 AM and the circumstances are truly depressing so not for the faint of heart. The turtle is a false map female who from my judgment looks to be around 10 months to a year old and is in barely stable but survivable health which is shocking considering what it went through. The poor girl was brought to me by a "anonymous surrender" which is a fancy way of saying a civilian who is willing to step in and be a good somebody but does not ask for credit nor do they want to be involved with reporting the owner. I can pursue that on their behalf as a function of the rescue in cases like this one which have overwhelming evidence so the sorry owner will hopefully get prosecuted because I will do all I can to try and make sure that happens.
The turtle was found in a home where there were a total of 5 turtles in a 75 gallon tank which is the first stupid and cruel part but it gets worse. The owner had went on vacation and thought that week feeders would suffice for 16 days somehow and sadly 4 of the turtles died of starvation while the one I got in rescue survived for roughly 8 days while 4 turtles were already dead and decomposing in the tank she was in. They were most likely siblings or at least had been together all their lives. I can not imagine the stress of being hungry and without interaction and food while watching 4 of your tank mates die and start to rot around you as the turtle that survived was probably preparing to endure the same fate soon because I have only seen one other rescue that was this near to death. I am not going to share the images for obvious reasons but once I get the surviving turtle cleaned up and her weight and vitamins stable will share her images though. I also did something I never really have had to do before which was take in the 4 deceased turtles into the rescue only for burial in the small cemetery I have created for turtles and any fish that have died but I never intended to have to use it like this. Anyway thank you for the support this forum provides to the moral and encouragement to keep up the rescue, and I really mean that :) and sorry for the sad story but the truth should be told is my stance always.
This is why I tell people to investigate the hobby they are coming into eitherr hobby to first purchase books take onboard all they say and act accordingly .
The number of fish keepers I've helped face to face over the years where all lacking in even the most basic of knowledge .
The fish shops stock books but never push them on the novice, personally Marshall I think they should be part of a package, that the fish shop sells when a newbie first buys a tank pond and fish, only that way can they get to grips

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is really sad! Thanks Marshall for being there to help out.

Now... thinking about myself.. we'll be gone for about 18 days... I already enlist my house cleaner to come at least every other days to check on my animals.... glad to have someone I can ask to do this!

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
This is really sad! Thanks Marshall for being there to help out.

Now... thinking about myself.. we'll be gone for about 18 days... I already enlist my house cleaner to come at least every other days to check on my animals.... glad to have someone I can ask to do this!
Glad you care for and look out for your animals. I think it is absolutely disgusting that some people just leave and don't care about the animals they leave behind. I would like to get the person who killed these 5 turtles recently and lock them up in a room full of stagnant water & :poop: and make them starve for a week or two.... or ten...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Glad you care for and look out for your animals. I think it is absolutely disgusting that some people just leave and don't care about the animals they leave behind. I would like to get the person who killed these 5 turtles recently and lock them up in a room full of stagnant water & :poop: and make them starve for a week or two.... or ten...
true.. but it gets expensive :) My dog will be at the pet place that'll already cost me about $35/day and the cost of having someone coming to my house would be about $10-15 each time, I think... haven't ask her yet... so we are trying our best to travel cheaply to pay for our pets care :)

Ask a Question