hydrogen peroxide?

Reaction score
O.K i am a little confused as to what the effect is with HP in the pond , is it to help clear pea soup ? is it a medical aid ? should it be added to a pond at all ? if so what ratio? would a cap full do anything harm/good...? should it be used in conjunction with anything else ? should it be reserved for a hospital pond only?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HP is sometimes used for killing alge..dont know of any medicinal 'in pond' use for it. barley bales and extracts break down and produce humic acds, which are then converted to HP. this is the final byproduct and the active ingredient in these products...its basically a slow release HP source.i've never used HP itself. but have seen good results with barley extract. i believe its primary use is for string alge, but it would seem to me that single cell or green water alge should be more suseptable to its use!

Reaction score
is it o.k to add hp while fish are in the pond ? also where would one introduce it to the water( i.e) via filter or just pour it into water ? and how much is safe?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I added while fish were in the pond, 1 liter per 1000 gallons. I put mine in my stream, you want good mixing. I would use 14 liters, 14k gallon pond. goldfish, shubunkins only. Start with a lower amount.

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
i think if it were me lenny i would be very careful adding it to such a small pond especially as you have already had problems with fish dieing ..if your going to try it make sure you have lots of air in the pond

Reaction score
i have lots of water movement and lots of air flowing into pond and 2 air stones at work , but....... i will allow nature take care of it , algae is a plant so as long as it doesn't get out of control i won't fear it .. if its needed then i am sure nature will create it w/o my help , i seem to remember fish being on the earth before us Humans , so i think nature knows better than I.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is best lenny, safer for the fish. I add nothing to this pond except the shells because our water is so soft. Well had to throw in some baking soda once, the ph was 5.6 now it is a nice stable 7.6 or so.

Airstones, water movement, plants, all is good in pond life.

Reaction score
hydrogen peroxide converts to oxygen and can be used to add oxygen to the water if the dissolved O2 in the pond or aquarium is very low and causing the fish to be in distress. It's a quick way to get the O2 level up.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes i did that when our power went out in arizona, my ciclid tank 175 gallons, i would only wait so long. The toss in the hp.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lenny jewell said:
would it be good in a new pond system with no fish but to treat prior to commencing the cycle?

Good to fight algae? I only added it to the arizona pond to fight the string algae. Have no algae issues in my maryland pond.

Not sure it would do anything in a new pond system unless you are fighting the green stuff.

Reaction score
No I would not treat the new pond, you want as much "Good" bacteria as you can get so ur pond cycles asap. If you purchase some cycle type of product you will be killing it off if the concentration of H2O2 is high enough. Let ur filter get established, no need for H2O2. use only as a first aid treatment and then u should remove the fish to be treated to a smaller hospital / quarantine type tank.

Reaction score
Hydrogen Peroxide will add Oxygen to the water very quickly. Use it only on a small scale to help stressed fish that have been shipped etc...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use Baquacil Oxidizer which is 27% HP for string algae.
! cup for each 2000 gallons. I do this every 4 days until the string algae is gone. Stop using then or you'll kill the carpet algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chemist and koi keeper Dr. Roddy Conrad's views on the subject.
Baquacil Oxidizer is 27% strength hydrogen peroxide, useful for algae control when carefully dosed.
The aquatic toxicity literature reports the 24 hour LC50 (Lethal Concentration when 50% of the fish die) of active pure hydrogen peroxide is 100 ppm. The 96 hour (4 day) LC50 is reported to be 22 ppm, the 2 hour LC 50 is reported to be typically 500 ppm.
I have actually dosed ponds full of algae with doses of hydrogen peroxide at 100 ppm actice concentrations many times and not seen any fish health problems as a result. However, when some of my friends have dosed new ponds or squeaky clean ponds with that dose, and there was nothing to consume the hydrogen peroxide, usually all the fish died in one to two days as the literature reports.
So what is a dose that will kill fish in a squeaky clean pond, you will surely ask.
Let's calculate that for an arbitrary 1000 gallons, then you can ratio that to your pond's volume.
1000 gallons times 8.3 pound per gallons gives 8300 pounds of water.
8300 pounds of water times .000022 to get 22 ppm (4 day toxicity limit) is then a pure hydrogen peroxide dose of 0.18 pounds. If the hydrogen peroxide comes as 27% strength as Baquacil Oxidizer, then 0.18 pounds divided by 0.27 = .66 pounds or .08 gallon or 1.2 cups. So to guarantee half the fish die in a squeaky clean pond a dose of 1.2 cups of 27% hydrogen peroxide per 1000 gallons could do it if the hydrogen peroxide last 4 days. If 3 quarts of 27% hydrogen peroxide is added to 4000 gallons, for example, to a squeaky clean pond, the dose is 48 ppm, half the 24 hour LC50 but twice the 4 day LC50, so some but not all of the fish are likely to die in a day or two. But if that same pond has a bunch of algae, then the hydrogen peroxide will all be consumed in a few hours and all will be well.
The case in point this week was indeed a charge of 3/4 of a gallon of Baquacil Oxidizer into a 4000 gallon pond where the algae was not bad enough to consume all the Baquacil, and many of the fish in the pond died in a few days.
If the fish are dying from a hydrogen peroxide overdose, a 90% water change is suggested to cut the hydrogen peroxide concentration a factor of 10. This presumes enough dechlor is on hand for the water exchange, ir not, an agent for reacting away the hydrogen peroxide is required.
The obvious best destruction agent for hydrogen peroxide is PP or potassium permanganate. If there is active hydrogen peroxide, the PP will be instantly consumed and will not turn the water purple or pink, so you will know when you are done destroying the hydrogen peroxide if you see purple or pink color that lasts a few minutes in the pond. Then add any dechlor to destroy any remaining PP when the pink or purple is seen. Then fish will stop dying.

Ask a Question