I bought a house in Arizona that included a fish pond.

Reaction score
The pond is about 1000 gallons and has about 20 goldfish in it. The home is about 35 miles north of Phoenix. I am new to having outdoor fish. Due to the algae problem, i would like to have some algae eating fish such as Plecostomus. However, I am concerned that they will not do well with our winters. I am thinking of getting a pond heater but I do not know how many watts the heater should have.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't think the pleco can survive below 70 my pond in phoenix dropped to around 45. Gold fish will do fine without a heater, unless you are in area that freezes hard

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
lichanura
I kept my pleco at around 78F in an aquarium. They won't like it out in the cold temps it could kill them.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

There are many ways to control algae -- depending on which kind is bothering you the most. As to the algae that grows on the liner, that's good to have and the goldfish like to snack on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The type of heater you would require for a 1,000 pond would be a 1kw inline heater and not one of the little small heaters that people use to keep an airhole open even then I doubt the pleaco would survive .
Pleco are tropical fish and as such unless you live in the warmer climes of the US forget putting them in your pond .put them instead indoors in a large glass tank where you can be asured they will live a long and healthy lifes

Dave

Reaction score
I would not count on a Pleco to reduce algae. Anything it eats, it will poop out, which will just add to the nuitrients that cause the algae to thrive. If you want to reduce algea, there are a few things you can do. Reduce fish load, increase filtration, and do water changes are some of those things.

Ask a Question