I CAN SEE the BOTTOM and the fish!

fishrich

Rich
Reaction score
For the fist time this year have i clean water which i can see the bottom (4 ft) Last year was as clean as a whistle, this year has been hard work. We have had such heavy rain for months in the UK, most of the water must be rain water and it just would not clear up. lots of small suspended particles. Two weeks now the rain has stoped, we saw the sun!! Lots of filter flush outs and its back!! I have drained off 100s of lt of excess water this year, never had so much rain.
Interestingly the rain water had a PH of 7, thats before it went into the pond, i was expecting more acid. The pond has stuck at 7.5/8 and has never ever moved from that. KH is better than expected at 9deg/161.1ppm, GH is more than i would have expected at 14deg/250.6ppm.
Nice to see all the fish again.

Reaction score
Glad to hear your water is clear.

Interestingly the rain water had a PH of 7, thats before it went into the pond, i was expecting more acid.
You're right to expect a lower pH. Measuring 7 means the test kit is bad or some other problem. You can check local weather stations or government sources for more accurate ranges.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Oh my water is not clear at all... its brown looking and it started when I scrubbed string algae off the walls then added a chemical to kill the algae... i probably need to drank and fill again. It was getting better it seemed but then rain and now is so dirty.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Use the quilt batting because if you drain it you will have a bigger headache than before .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am going to get some tomorrow but for now i placed a pillow case under part of the waterfall and there is some green coating in it already... its definitely trapping the tiny pieces... water looked a bit clearer to me- i could see my fish in there! (even the black and orange shubunkin)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I put course filter pad on top and quilt batting under as the course will pick up the big stuff and the quilt batting will pick up the finer stuff

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The stuff under is bags of lava rock .I chose it because it works for me ,you just have to find that filter material that will work for you .I have not had to clean my filters yet the plants and this works getting all the nasty stuff we have had since the heat .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My water had suspended green algae. Then I filtered my water thru regular cotton batting and lovely clear water. I don't know why I did not think of such a simple solution before. Duh!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh and I gave away 21 goldfish, which I know helped. I have way too many fish and am working hard to find nice homes for them. Still need to catch another 20 or 30 to give away. But they have wised up to my tricks.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
And they say fish are dumb ,yeh sure :goldfish: :razz: smarter than us

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Let them get hungry, leave a net in the water just sitting there, (a helper helps) let them get used to the net, toss in some food right above it, they will come to eat, swoop up fast!

Ask a Question