I did it! I anesthetized a goldfish with oil of clove!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is something that I've been worried about (n) -- if/when I have a fish that needs to be sedated.....chances are, I'm going to be stressed to the max.....:eek::confused::mad:

Today I finished putting all the fish back in the pond, so chose 2 random specimens to practice on [I hate to use that word, but that's what it is -- a controlled practice], sedation and doing a scraping.

It went very well!!!! (y) Both fish did fine, and now that I've done it and seen how the fish reacted, and how quickly they recovered, I feel SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE! :joyful: Now, if there is ever an emergency or a real medical problem, I can do what I have to do with the fish and I won't have to worry about being worried about the sedation part!:smug:

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
@Mmathis, Somehow, I don't feel comforted by this, especially if I was one of Mmathis' fish. What if Mmathis felt the need to practice brain surgery or appendectomy on her fish? Would she similarly pick two fish at random and practice it?

Get me out of her pond!

trouble_breathing_886875.jpg

Reaction score
Ha! when dave told me about needing to do that stuff I thought he was nuts thinking, who does this to fish? well i am learning many do it.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Mmathis, Somehow, I don't feel comforted by this, especially if I was one of Mmathis' fish. What if Mmathis felt the need to practice brain surgery or appendectomy on her fish? Would she similarly pick two fish at random and practice it?

Get me out of her pond!

Doctors "practice medicine" all the time! If I ever need brain surgery, I hope my surgeon has plenty of it..... :)

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Doctors "practice medicine" all the time! If I ever need brain surgery, I hope my surgeon has plenty of it..... :)
Of all the doctors on this forum, I think you deserve it most. Can you change your name to add Dr. Mmathis to it? Or Mmathis, FD (for fish doctor).

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Of all the doctors on this forum, I think you deserve it most. Can you change your name to add Dr. Mmathis to it? Or Mmathis, FD (for fish doctor).

LOL! No, today I was just BRAVE! Although, I did try some hypnotic suggestions while they were "out." "The next time you see this human, you will worship her....."

image.jpg

I'll let you know if it works.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Thinking about ancient sacrifices, if I were an old style deity, why on Earth would I want some dead thing sacrificed to me? Give me a live cow, goat, fish, virgin, whatever any day. If I want it dead, I'll kill it myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
It is something that I've been worried about (n) -- if/when I have a fish that needs to be sedated.....chances are, I'm going to be stressed to the max.....:eek::confused::mad:

Today I finished putting all the fish back in the pond, so chose 2 random specimens to practice on [I hate to use that word, but that's what it is -- a controlled practice], sedation and doing a scraping.

It went very well!!!! (y) Both fish did fine, and now that I've done it and seen how the fish reacted, and how quickly they recovered, I feel SO MUCH MORE COMFORTABLE! :joyful: Now, if there is ever an emergency or a real medical problem, I can do what I have to do with the fish and I won't have to worry about being worried about the sedation part!:smug:

Well done Maggie I feel so proud for you and Val the same you have been an apt pupil indeed girl :happy: :joyful:,
From here its a fastinating world of Anethatized treatments including minor operations (tail snips) wound/ulcer/cuts and abraision treating cleaning etc.:confused: :eek: (y)
Once you became happy with anethatizing your fish this is what opens up for you in a much more hands on form in an area where you can often make the difference between life and death for our fish :).
Now your gong to have to put together your very own fish first aid kit because it will become ever more useful to you as the years pass by.and you start to push the boundries of what you are capable of all the more .:happy:

Dave(y)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
John how is one to pratice if one doesnt have test subjects only by doing it does Maggie feel comfortable to be able to do it in future ?

Dave

Reaction score
John how is one to pratice if one doesnt have test subjects only by doing it does Maggie feel comfortable to be able to do it in future ?

Dave
Perhaps John is concerned that Maggie might take the next step and start applying the same logic to euthanizing her fish. When the time come how will she feel comfortable enough to euthanize a sick fish if she hasn't already practiced on some test subjects?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Perhaps John is concerned that Maggie might take the next step and start applying the same logic to euthanizing her fish. When the time come how will she feel comfortable enough to euthanize a sick fish if she hasn't already practiced on some test subjects?

QUOTE="JohnHuff, post: 238818, member: 4156"]@Mmathis, Somehow, I don't feel comforted by this, especially if I was one of Mmathis' fish. What if Mmathis felt the need to practice brain surgery or appendectomy on her fish? Would she similarly pick two fish at random and practice it?

Get me out of her pond!

[/QUOTE]

Larkin sadly its a fact that from time to time to stop suffering that we all have to face Euthanizing fish, sadly its part and parcel of our hobby
What is it that would you sooner do to a fish i;e hit it on the head to kill it , some do and they swear the fish feels nothing whilst others put their fish in the freezer to go to sleep or even flush them down the drain (out of site out of mind ?
But if you now have a useful tool i:e to place the fish in an anethetic bath and leave it to gently drift off to sleep.
I think Maggie will probaly be able to do this as will many others its basicaly a choice of braining your fish, freezing it. flushing it or drift off to sleep in an anesthetic bath drifting off .......
Maggie has taken an interest in the other side of fish keeping and has to practice no harm befell her fish :happy:
John if Maggie wishes to do so but in time she can learn the basics of minor operatons such as snipping off a damaged part of a tail.(which I've done three times) ,, cleaning out a wound, or an ulcer, removing a pebble from a fishes mouth (I've done this twice).
All was taught to me by a chap called Dave Kerr who was a member of our club at the start , like ourselves.
What makes the guy special is that Dave ran a trout farm and koi dealership in Ermington South Devon where we got our koi from and held our show.
It all came about whenI took an interest he trained me up , we are all capable fish keepers my friend Maggie ranks a good one in our eyes .

Dave

PS mind if I copy your wicked cartoon :happy:

Last edited:

Ask a Question