I found a way to keep preditors out of my pond!

BBK

Reaction score
I found a fantastic way to keep the coons from getting to my fish. I was having problems with coons stealing the fish out of my previous pond. Well I found a way and the coon has never came back.

What I did was I took a 12ft section of bare copper wire and a car battery. I took the wire and stapled it around the edge of the entire pond. Then I took a metal stake and connected one end of the wire to it and hammered it into the ground. I took the other end and attached it to a marine starting battery. The coon has never came back.

I'm no electrician and I'm not sure if this actually gave him a shock but for some reason he never came back after I installed it.

BBK

Reaction score
If I wanted it dead I would have shot it. I just want him to go home to his coon family and tell them to stay away from my pond.

Reaction score
I use a FiShock battery operated fence. I also do not want to kill them and this works great to keep them out of the pond. This fence is safe for birds and hurts enough that the cats and coons will stay away. Even you accidentally touch it, you'll recover in a second. Don't ask. LOL
Even if you do eradicate a family of coons, another family will soon move in to the neighborhood and locate the pond.

BBK

Reaction score
Doesn't matter much now. When I made my new pond I made it 3ft deep. I cant even reach the bottom so I know the coons cant.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have a molded inground pond. If I ever get around to building a bigger one with a liner, I will go three to four foot deep. I have learned from watching and experience that if the racoons can't stand on the bottom they have have fish from the edge. The low voltage shocker is an excelant idea.

My father in law used a simular low voltage around his outsdoor bird aviaries to keep the cats from spooking his birds. Even unwanted people from climbing over the fence at night.

Gardening

Banned
Reaction score
A successful practical idea is all the wealth to everyone.
I keep your ideas in mind and will take this into my ponds also.

Ask a Question