I guess she didn't get the memo...

Reaction score
You sit on the eggs, not the other chickens.

DSCF5244_zpsivjlp33f.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Being raised around hens in my early years I can say that they be Mexican hens Bullfrog who are not noted for their smarts :(

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hilarious! My daughter had two hens that sat side by side over a nest of eggs. I thought that was pretty unusual, too. They hatched 6 of them, and daughter said they are both very protective of their little brood. :)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Silly chickens, maybe those two on top were like @CountryEscape 's daughters hens and they are just still taking care of their little one together :)

What ya up to Bullfrog?

Reaction score
Mine do the same thing, maybe 2 or 3 hens in 1 nest and there is 3 other empty nests they could use.
I also have 1 hen, she poops on the eggs every time she lays, every time!

Reaction score
The prez can't even spell cement, he was working for me and handed me a note that said "semen to". I've got the most powerful one on my side here.

The watermelons, cantelopes, zuchinni and corn are coming in good. We invited a family to lunch last week. The mother is 53 and she had never been out to eat before in her life. We just thought that was poor until the ride home. She rode with us and said, "If we have food, maybe a chicken at Christmas, we celebrate. If we don't have food, we don't" The grandsons are 6 and 12 and have never had a hamburger or a hot dog before, we will cook for them Wednesday.

These people are slaves of the cane, it's all they have ever known. The grandfather, Luciano said, "You need pumps and pipes for irrigation." I intend to prove them wrong. Food will grow here and abundantly. His daughter looked at the zuchinni yesterday and said, "I never would have imagined that vegetables will grow here."

I think the people who are making the money from the sugar cane, the buyers, sellers and refiners want them to believe that food won't grow here, these people are their cash cow. They have grown cane for hundreds of years here with no crop rotation. Using inorganic fertilizers that cost them most of their money, we have 3 of the most polluted rivers in Mexico from the runoff.

With God's help, we will have a big harvest and give the food to these people. But by doing so, they too will see that they can have a vastly better life. Food for Christmas, every year and even gifts which they don't do now because they simply can't afford Christmas gifts, any at all. Can you imagine that? They can have 4 harvests a year instead of one. Mexico City is 2 hours away, a monster second only to Shanghai in population, 200 million people and they don't produce one bite of food, it all must be brought in daily.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is really unbelievable how they can live like that and no one has discovered how to grow anything on their own. I am so glad you are there to teach them. I can't wait to see how they start to learn and plant their gardens and start to barter w/each other to become more self sufficient from the greed filled cane field owners or is it the gov't?
I wish I could see the look on the kids faces when they eat their first hot dog!

Reaction score
JW, they actually own the land. I believe that large plantations and haciendas owned by the Spaniards were given to the people who were enslaved and forced to work the land once they won their independence. But, in their minds, they are and always will be poor caneros, those who grow cane, it's all they know. The land has been sucked dry of nutrients after hundreds of years of growing just cane so we add black earth, but again, they just grow cane and take whatever is given to them.

The zuchinni is really growing, the corn, watermelons, cantelopes, everything I have planted is springing up and they are amazed. We fed the workers watermelon several times and I had them save the seeds. Still, a few fell on the ground in front of the house and they too are growing.

They are good people, they just need a little guidance. Still, I am going to need church sponsorship if I'm going to plow and fertilize the large pasture near the river. Our survey showed we own a lot more land than we knew, across the river and road, but it will have to be cleared of trees and the stumps dug up, this will cost bigtime for renting a backhoe, then the tractor. Or, I'll have to wait and sell off a portion of this crop which I don't want to do. I asked on Facebook if anyone's church might sponsor this ministry, that I would bring a slideshow and give a presentation and got no replies. I wrote Lakewood, the mega church in Houston, they have "Operation Hope" which is a worldwide feed the poor organization and again got no answer.

The food was a real hit, we invited two kids and 12 arrived. I'll add a few pictures tomorrow. I can't imagine being 12 years old and never have tasted burgers and fries. Then, Gloria and I took turns riding them all on the four wheeler.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That is so wonderful what you are doing and I hope the people listen and learn so they can enrich the land and plant and grow and start a new generation of young people that can reap and sow off the land and pass it on to their children too.
I pray you can find some kind of church or organization that can help sponsor this ministry. Sounds like w/some nice good soil tilled in that ground the crops will grow great! All that good food could be right at their fingertips if all goes right.
What fun for the kids to be able to taste the new foods to them and then get to ride on the fast 4 wheelers. It must have been like going to the fair for them all.

Reaction score
Thank you, we enjoy doing this and the bible re
What great representatives you and your wife are, Bullfrog! Thank you for what you are doing.
The bible repeatedly says to give generously to the poor. My internet is extremely slow here because of the connection. Hopefully, I can return to Texas soon and get a signal booster. Also, I'm up against a gig limit which I'm learning to deal with. Here's one picture...

Ask a Question