i have a zillion tadpoles in my tiny 10 G pond....

Reaction score
Country
United States
is this a problem for my 2 small goldfish. I am in Florida - nice and sunny and hot here.Pond is shaded....I am worried the frogs (or toads) will eat my goldfish. Also many of the little tadpoles are getting caught in my filter. Should i be taking the little guys out and reducing their numbers? I am at a loss as to what to do as i have only started this pond 2 months ago....so i am REally NEW and just learning about all this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Ooh, I would say lucky you because I love tadpoles and frogs. Let them live their life cycle as best they can, Id say. As a treat, throw in an earthworm. Within a few hours you will see a thousand little swishy tails around the worm eating it. I enjoyed that so much when I was a child. You may need to clean your filter just a little more, but its well worth it. Environmental problems have caused a reduction in frogs, so any help you can provide is a good thing.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Are there any streams, ponds around? Take the tads there. I leave the tads in mine, but my amount of water is very large compared to yours.

I have never seen a fish eaten by a frog but I am sure they catch slow ones if they can.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Young frogs dont necessarily need close water as long as they have humidity and some wetness, like rains in FL. As they get older, they will make their way to water to breed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
i am just worried as there are a zillion tadpoles....will the water quality be a problem over time? Right now my pond...an experiment and very small 10 gallons tops....(its actually a horse feed tub set into the ground with a filter in it and a little waterfall...some plants from cuttings in it which are growing fine and some fake flowers...in the shade most of the time with a bit of sun peeking at it at times. its very cute....but i guess being so new at this i prob will be around reading and asking a ton of questions....and if i get my own place creating a larger pond...lol...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Id think you should be fine. If you see your goldfish surfacing for breath, you might need to up the aeration. But goldfish can live in some really skanky water. The tadpoles are temporary...it wont be long before they are gone.

Ask a Question