I have an old pond that hasn't been used in years, help!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
Hi everyone,

I moved into a house in February and the back yard has not been kept up in what looks like years. I just decided to clean out the pond that is in the back yard, please see the pictures.

The pond was full of old dirty water and a big clump of dirt with that dry grassy stuff growing inside the pond. I pulled out the grass clump and then scooped out all of the water. I did not ask the landlord about the pond, I just decided to start the maintenance since I like doing things in the yard. I plan on getting some plants and fish if everything works out.
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg
FullSizeRender (3).jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

As you can see, there is a waterfall, and a plug where I can run an extension cord to give it power.

My first question is: the black plastic hose that I am holding in the picture, was buried under all that long grass on the side of the pond. Is this the hose that sucks up water and brings it to the waterfall? The other end does run to the waterfall section.

My second question is: does it look like the end of the hose is correct? Or should there be something else attached to it?

I will have more questions to follow!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It looks like that should hook up to your waterfall since the end of the corrugated tubing is in the pond, that pulls the water from the pond, through the tube and then into the waterfall. Is there a connection somewhere at the side or top of the waterfall? I'm assuming it came as 1 piece, ie preformed pond and pump. And the electrical plug must lead to the pump, possibly inside the waterfall section?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
I just checked the underside of the waterfall and the only thing running to it is that black tube... No electricity! It seems like it may never have worked!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I would fill it with water and plug it in and see what happens. A small pump can be purchased that will wirk if the existing pump isn't findable or working.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
I would fill it with water and plug it in and see what happens. A small pump can be purchased that will wirk if the existing pump isn't findable or working.
Yep! That's what I just thought about. I will need to get a pump to put on the end of that hose. Are pumps cheap?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
For the size of your pond they are for sure. I can't see where your from, I think Canada? I bought my first pump from lowes for really cheap but maybe Colleen will jump in and have some better suggestions since she lived up yonder. I'm curious what the plug leads to though if not a pump maybe internally housed in the waterfall. Try it, maybe it all works.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pumps for that sized pond are fairly cheap .Some hardware stores and even some garden centers will carry pumps .I would google your area and see where to buy a pond pump or as said ask Colleen

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Find yourself a small pump, and then figure out what you will need to connect the pump to that black hose. I suspect someone took the pump that HAD been connected to the black hose. The pump was likely in the bottom of the pond, yes. Keep in mind, once you get the water running, and plants planted, there will be little of the hose showing, even if it looks bad at the beginning. Once your plants cover up the hose, you will not know where it is! Good luck. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They may have stopped using it because it froze solid .I would check for leaks because that could have been another reason .You may want to check hoses also since they may leak from not being used .I think for all the work you will put into it you may be better starting over .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hey there Chad! I am from out west here in Sunny Medicine Hat Alberta, a long way from you down east, but nice to see a fellow Canadian and a Big Welcome!

That piece looks like it attached to a pump for sure. If you can't find pump in shed or somewhere around house, it may be gone and you will have to find another pump. You can find pumps at any hardware store, pet store, garden centers and Canadian Tire sells lots of pond stuff too,

I would start with your local pets stores and ask about a pump for your little pond. Show them the pictures and by the looks of it that pond is only about 30 or 40 gallons maybe. Look around, some pet stores have better help and selection that others. I am not from that area so I am not sure about what is offered down in Ontario. Most pet stores around here have better trained personal working that can help you better. Ask about filters for pump as well. Get them to show them to you and how they work....

Look at Canadian Tire, some times they have good deals but make sure the pump is not a fountain pump cause they do not have good filters that are needed for ponds.

Lastly, I seen some advertisement's for pumps in Canada right on this forum, but you have to not log on and then you will see advertisement. Once you have looked around you can compare prices and find one that will work good for you. Good Luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
Canada
Hi again, it's been awhile since I was last here

Today I went to my local pet shop and was talking to the owner. He recommended a Laguna pump (I didn't catch the model number) but iirc, he said it pumps 700 liters or gallons per hour. It was priced at $50, and I just checked the electrical outlet located beside the pond and it does work!

I am 2 days away from pulling the trigger on buying the Laguna pump, unless someone can give me an alternate better and cheaper route to go! Thanks all (and especially Colleen!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 2 laguna pumps and they are great and are energy savers .My 2900 gph pump said it uses 100 watts but can hit it's sweet spot and use less which it does use less ,it uses 84 watts

Ask a Question