Im stuck in a catch 22 situation - Any advice appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello , friends ,I have a pond with approx 1000 gallons and 10 fish,including one very large koi ,however over the last few weeks I have suffered from low oxygen in pond ,this has been put right my adding 4 extra airstones and cooling of temp was 26 now around 17- the low oxygen affected my big koi ( see prev post ) but Im pleased to say he seems fine now .However over the last few days I have noticed 3 fish flashing ie seemingly trying to scrape parasites off them ...but on looking at fish they show no signs s of any thing untoward in appearance ..Also recently I have noticed my water looking slightly green so I have today replaced thr UV bulb with a new one .Now my dilemma is this ....if I do indeed have parasites then treating for it (NT labs anti parasite) would involve switching UV off for at least a week and ive only today put a new bulb in to get rid of green water AND it would also reduce oxygen level again .....SO it seems im caught in a catch 22 situation ...I am concerned at 3 fish flashing ( including big koi ) but not sure if adding anti parasite is the right thing to do due to reasons just given ,would a partial water change help?? Can anyone advise me what my next action should be ? Also I have tested all paramiters and all ok ...weather in Surrey warm and humid .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First of all, we really like to see the actual numbers for your water tests. Can you post those for us?

Is there any way you could do a scraping of your fish to examine under a microscope? If you don't have a scope, maybe you know someone who can help.

Yes, a partial water change is always a good choice! We're having horrible temperatures here (yesterday our heat index was 118F -- unreal!), and I'm having water temp. issues as well, with concerns about oxygen levels.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Agreed that a water change is always a good choice. One of the first things I was taught when I started keeping fish was when something seemed off with my fish a water change was in order. If you don't see a change in symptoms after that then further checking in to other issues would be appropriate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Ok thank you for the advice my oxygen level is now good - well above 6 ppm - ammonia / nitrite / nitrate all zero / high range ph is 8 - the temp today here in Surrey England is 19 c - 60 f - I will now do a 25% water change and observe the fish over next few days - thanks for the advice it's very much appreciated indeed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I would trust my UV. Get your water parameters right and let the UV kill the parasites along with the algae. Most of fresh water parasites have a free swimming stage in their life cycle.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I would trust my UV. Get your water parameters right and let the UV kill the parasites along with the algae. Most of fresh water parasites have a free swimming stage in their life cycle.
Need a properly sized UV sterlizer to have any impact on pathogenic organisms. UV clarifiers just are not powerful enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
The only real difference is exposure time. Nothing wrong with reducing the flow to it. Eventually everything passes thru. I'm just not a fan of nuking my pond or aquariums with chemicals unless all else fails and usually (for me at least) all else doesn't fail.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
The UV unit must be powerful enough to generate the required dosage. Basic clarifiers will not provide any meaningful protection.
UV dose requirements 3.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Alright professor, you win. I'm not going to argue with Latin, MLD, and all of that other stuff that is way over my head.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
thanks for all your advice ....I shall observe the fish over next few days for any more signs of flashing ...I dont really want to add parasite killer unless neccessary however should the flashing continue then I will treat with NT Labs anti parasite treatment

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Your best placed to be our eyes nick so its up to you to be sure of your own convictions or go to a dealership and ask them over to scrape your koi .
For one you should still be running all your airstones as the mucky weather weve been having can still cause a drop in levels again, believe me nick, I certainly wont be reducing levels in our pond the extra air stay's on .
Next do a water change and see how they get on, if they are still flashing then treat the pond the U/V-C can be switched off the extra air left on and the treatment given safe in the knowledge your bases are all covered .

Dave

Ask a Question