INDOOR SETUP FOR WINTER

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have 100-120 koi fry that I want to bring into my basement this winter. Size is average 2-3". Right now they are in a 150 gallon stocktank with a 55 gallon skippy filter. I don't want to put them into the ponds as they will be sold next spring and catching them will be a major pain.
I know most of you don't bring fish inside in the winter but want to get some feedback for the setup. I have a second 150 stocktank. I was planning on splitting the return with a T if I use both tanks. Skippy will be fed by a pump from both tanks. I don't have a lot of room but don't want to risk running into water quality problems. I have no floor drains in my basement so cleaning of the filter will have to be a pump at the bottom of the filter to pump waste out to sink drain. I do have a Savio waterfall filter that is not in use but it is large and bulky.
Any suggestions as to the best setup? I want to see these little guys big and healthy in the spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
My only suggestion would be to link the 2 stock tanks together at the drain point in case one pump fails since you are going to be using the same filter for both.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well- after a lot of thinking and planning I have decided to put the fry into the pond rather than bringing them in. I'm thinking about how much work it would add to my overwhelming load so they will winter out side and I will deal with recatching them in the spring. I know I won't get the growth but I am sure it will be one less thing to deal with this winter. I will try to get some good pictures of some of the ones we are planning on keeping.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
008.jpg
014.jpg
018.jpg
024.jpg
99 fry caught and put into the pond! The white one with the red mark on its head has been named Harry Potter! Not sure which ones we will keep. Just have to wait till spring and see who I can't catch. Sizes were 1 1/4"- 9" (Tobie)

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
He eats anywhere and anything he can get ahold of! We pulled him and put him in a tank with plants to keep the mosquitos down and he ate the plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I love the ochiba mrschem cant ship him over the pond to us can you ?

Dave

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Thanks guys. Dave- I had to look that name up as I wasn't familiar with it. I have several of that pattern and can't wait to see how they look in the spring. Don't think I could ship that over tho- sorry! Glad to hear you and Val have plenty of help.

Ask a Question