Inflated Air Bladder?

Reaction score
Hello All, I am a new member seeking some assisstance. I have had a Koi pond for over 8 years. I created the pond and am very familiar with the ins and outs. There have been no unusual changes in the last two years that would cause any recent developments. Over the years, the balance of fish has been approximately 20-25 fish. There are some original fish, some added, some spawn, some rescues from friends of mine. All in all, everything has been a pretty healthy balance. Recently, I have had two fish die in the last 4 weeks. These two fish showed signs of the same syptoms. At first sign, they started swimming a bit on their sides, then digressed from their. From start of syptoms to death, it takes about 3 days. Toward the end, they lay on their side on the bottom of pond slightly twitching occasionally. They are still breathing and trying to make it. The first fish a few weeks ago showed no sign of abnormal disease or infection. Likewise with this 2nd fish today. I did notice that both fish had an enlarged stomach. I know this is gross, but I cut the second fish open today to see what the problem was, Their was a white sac, just behind the fish's head and inside the fish's belly cavity, that was completely enlarged. I cut it open and it quickly deflated to almost nothing but tissue. I am assuming this is the air bladder. Other than this, I did not see any gill problem, no scale problem, nothing in the mouth or stomach. I am kind of at a loss right now and am seeking some assistance from anyone who might know why the air bladder was inflated to the degree it was on both of these fish. Perhaps the enlarged air bladder is just a secondary problem to the root of the real problem, but figured I'd reach out for advice. Thank you, Scott

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
never had a fish with that problem but someone on here can help ,i hope .I have given peas to fish to get rid of gas though at least thats what i suspected it was .Not my pond but my neighbors pond .How big is your pond and how deep and are there any other signs from the other fish .Is this the first time this has happened .Fellow was NJer .Now retired.How did they d through Sandy storm and feeding them any thing like wheat germ Anything wash into the pond any critters get in the pond .Have you tested pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hellofrog7.gif
TRKOIGUY
Sorry I can't help ya as I only have goldies but hope you can find some answers soon.

Reaction score
My pond is 3300 gallons. Deep end 40" and low end 18". two waterfalls. Sandy didn't really have any effect on us inland a few miles except power loss for a few days. No critters. I don't feed them in the winter. Never have and they are always fine. My pump is on 365 days.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have you tested your water for quality .There has to be something

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
WelcomeGroupSmiley.gif
To our group! I can't help you with sick koi, just have goldies.

Ask a Question