Inflated goldfish!!!

Reaction score
A friend of mine was moving house and no longer wanted his goldfish...
i said that i would take them off his hands...

on arrival i noticed that one of the goldfish had a hugely inflated stomach, i had never seen this before and was quite shocked,
i was unsure weather to introduce them to my other fish, thinking that it may have a disease of some sort and infect all of my valuble koi and other fish...

he told me that the fish had been like this for aprox 4 years and has no problems eating.

i have therefore introduced them into my pond, me being curious. i have done reasearch, turns out it has a swim bladder problem. the goldfish seems to stay at the bottom on its side, behind a plant, laying practically motionless to a point that you think it has deid... then may suddenly swim to the top to eat and sink back down to its previous position.

any idea as to which type of swim bladder problem it is?, is it cureable? and what i can do?.

:profile:

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
I have had Koi do the same thing. After months of watching them, no change. They generally don't ever get back to normal.

Ask a Question