Interesting summer here in Nothern Ohio

Reaction score
Wow Koi terrible winter lost all the young Koi 100 or so then the Mallards landed and killed a big orange and black butter fly 18 inch and a white orange and black 18 inch koi- treated pond then hot cold hot cold--- etc. Had to add pro form G now every thing is balanced out. Then the aerator died changed to a Hakko 60 and 2- 1 1/2 by 6 Alumina airstones. With all the changes a few days ago you could count the teeth in the bottom of the pond 47 inches down and the bottom was as black as the day I filled the pond until it rained 2 days ago but almost clear tonight. Looks like the changed are working accept now I need to increase the skimmer to a bigger one. Tired of cleaning morning and night.
This fall I'm going to build a green house over the pond adding more heat just in case! Out pond is 1 foot away from the septic tank which produces a large amount heat in the pond never froze over last winter.
So this year I've added new Koi's including a AAA+ Gen Rim Kinda Showa Female- Nick name Pearl all of our Koi's have names so we can talk about them without remembering the Japanese.
Who else names their Koi's?
I'm excited big time about the pond plus I got all the fixings for another 9000 gallons liner, pumps every thing cool so you know I will be adding a second pond this year. Later on the progress.

One question? I have a 17 inch Koi that is white with a black spot middle back, a vibrant red face, orange behind the red and orange on the tail. She has a huge hump behind her head. What kind is she? Idea's? Pictures when the pond clears completely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I don't know what type of koi you have, but wanted to chime in on the changes you've made to your pond. I too added a Hakko 60 and my water is crystal clear....think it was a good move. I had a new skimmer put in last Spring. Are you planning on running your Hakko during the winter?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow the mallards killed a fish, how? I have had mallards since early spring come and go with no issues to the goldfish or koi. There was as many as 9 at one point. Love to see pictures when you can and good luck on the second pond build.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow the mallards killed a fish, how? I have had mallards since early spring come and go with no issues to the goldfish or koi. There was as many as 9 at one point. Love to see pictures when you can and good luck on the second pond build.

Yeah, the mallards I had in Spring never bothered my Shubunkins and comets either. Actually, I noticed my fish tend to follow the ducks feet around.

Reaction score
They brought in a parasite. Birds carry a lot of disease with them that is why the pond is netted an scare crow sprinklers spray them If they make it under the net,

Ask a Question