Ion-Gen

Reaction score
We enlarged our pond from 1k gallons to 3500 gallons last Fall, we're in SoCal and didn't have a winter at all this year and more of the pond is exposed to full sun...first time I've ever had a string algae problem. We rake it out twice a week but gosh, what a lot of work. My water pH is a bit alkline (8.2) and high in calcium and we're looking into getting a copper Ion-generator as we have been told it's the easiest way to control the algae...I've also heard if it's high enough to control the algae it's toxic to the koi. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
There was a recent discussion on this very topic and @Meyer Jordan , has written an article on it.

I think once you read it, you'll agree, it's NOT a good thing for your fish.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
We enlarged our pond from 1k gallons to 3500 gallons last Fall, we're in SoCal and didn't have a winter at all this year and more of the pond is exposed to full sun...first time I've ever had a string algae problem. We rake it out twice a week but gosh, what a lot of work. My water pH is a bit alkline (8.2) and high in calcium and we're looking into getting a copper Ion-generator as we have been told it's the easiest way to control the algae...I've also heard if it's high enough to control the algae it's toxic to the koi. Any thoughts?

Yep, I have plenty of thoughts on Ionizers. Read my article first as Tula suggested. If you have any questions, please post them.

Ask a Question