Iris seed pods.

FountainMan

Dihydrogen Monoxide-scaping.
Reaction score
My Yellow Flag Iris has a lot of seed pods below old shriveled up flowers. I've never harvested the seed pods and as a fun project this summer, I want to attempt to grow Irises from seeds.

I'm inexperienced in doing this so I'm hoping some experts here can guide me. Looking for information regarding, soil, ph, temperature, fertilizer, germination rate, etc. When the new plants get big enough I plan on selling them.

Any advice is well appreciated.

Thanks.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
from the net (I have never tried it)

kantzklan Edinboro, PA(Zone 5a) Aug 11, 2013

I[m in zone 5B and collect iris seeds, dry them over the winter inside and then put them out in the Spring......just dig a hole and put the whole pod in......that gives about 4-6 seeds in each hole........I haven't had any failures yet........I do the same with glad seeds, daylilly seeds, lilly seeds etc.........

I am also trying hosta seeds around the trees this year......I didn't even dry them, just pulled them off the hosta, dug holes with a screwdriver around the tree and put about 3-5 seed in each hole.......I'll know next spring if it worked.....

That is what I love about gardening, just experiment, try it....if it works great....if it doesn't save enough seeds to try something else........I guess I'd say, don't be timid or afraid to plant seeds and fail........I guess that is how you learn.

and

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/harvest-iris-seedpods-22020.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
Canada
I usually split my yellow flag iris's when they over grow their pots, but judging by the amount of seedlings I have every year under my deck, in the kids playground pea gravel and pretty well everywhere else in my backyard they seed quite well.....;)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have some of the small deep purple ones next to one of my stream ponds. They produce a ton of seed pods. I now have them growing in the stream pond and find them here and there in the yard.

Ask a Question