Is Aeration Enough

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi, I live in Florida and had a mud pond dug four years ago, it's about a 26 foot diameter circle, five feet deep at the deepest end. I was considering putting koi in there at the time it was dug. Well, I hate it. It's a giant mud puddle and when I look at mud ponds with koi they all look worse than mine. To make things worse it was improperly dug and isn't safe. Even if it was it's too deep for me to manage, could be a gator in there, don't know can't see the bottom!

So, the plan is to drain it in the winter, bring in dirt to raise it to about three feet, line it with EPDM, no built in plant shelves (I'll have movable shelves inside), with steep sides. I was planning to install a micro bubble tube aeration system to the bottom and a floating fountain in the center. The thought was to have rocks in trays for easy clean up, lots of plants, and once established by the frogs and snakes, adding 12 to 24 fancy goldfish (no koi).

Can this be done without a water pump and filter? I know I will have to manually remove debris, I have seen people be successful in doing this with smaller ponds, I just worry that it may not work with a 12,000 gallon pond. The addition of a pump and filter would be impossible at this current time, if it turns out it is a necessity I will just fill the entire existing pond in. Please advise me of my best course of action, I look forward to replies! Thanks.

Dotty

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the answer, it was just what I hoping to hear! I'll be posting more question as we prepare to move forward. Have a great weekend!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the answer, it was just what I hoping to hear! I'll be posting more question as we prepare to move forward. Have a great weekend!
12,000 gallons +/- and only a few goldfish. It is doable without a pump or filter providing that you do have water movement and Plants.
I concure with Meyer on this issue

Dave

Ask a Question