Is HDPE pipe fish-safe?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello - - I am an experienced gold-fish ponder, but now I am graduating to a brand new Koi pond this summer. It will be about 2500 gallons. I have 2 questions:

1) is HDPE pipe (aka sprinkler pipe) Koi safe?
2) if I have any under-water white fittings (e.g. schedule 40 PVC), is there a fish-safe black spray paint anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
HDPE pipe can be used for potable water, so it is likely safe for fish. Question is why would you use it instead of PVC?
As to paint, first it would have to hold up under water. Is there a spray paint made for underwater use? Marine epoxy would work, but that has to be painted on, but it is fish-safe.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick responses - I appreciate it. The reasons I might be using HDPE pipe is because I have a bunch left over from my sprinkler system project, including a bunch of fittings. Also, it is cheaper than the Flex PVC.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just an idea, but in time (probably the first year) your white pipe will no longer be white anyhow. Algae will cover it, and it will be more or less invisible. Just a thought! Not sure what HDPE pipe is, but I used flexible sump pump pipe for all my water lines, and have had none of it crap or split or leak, even the part that froze during the winter.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick responses - I appreciate it. The reasons I might be using HDPE pipe is because I have a bunch left over from my sprinkler system project, including a bunch of fittings. Also, it is cheaper than the Flex PVC.

Will the pipe that you have on hand be large enough (diameter) for use in your pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
HDPE is fish safe, you can buy Koi Pond Liners that are HDPE, they are actually the fastest growing "new" liner type out there for Ponds.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I know this post is old but is there any type of plastic that is not safe for koi in outdoor ponds? I found a large dog food bin I was going to turn into a koi hide out. I was worried certain plastics might release toxic chemicals that might harm the fish. This container is BPA free. I don’t use any chemicals in my pond. Only API products mainly such as accu clear, sludge destroyer, algae fix (every now and then), benefial bacteria, and stress coat which detoxifies ammonia and heavy metals.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you're really concerned about plastics leaching harmful substances into the pond water, plasticizers, which are used to keep plastics flexible, are not healthy for microscopic life, plus I would stay away from any plastic containers that was used to store petroleum distillates.
There should be no need for the products that you are adding to your pond if it is a balanced and diverse ecosystem.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I don’t use any chemicals in my pond. Only API products mainly such as accu clear, sludge destroyer, algae fix (every now and then), benefial bacteria, and stress coat which detoxifies ammonia and heavy metals.

I agree with @MitchM - I would amend that statement to say I don't use any chemicals OR ADDITIVES in my pond" and save yourself some money. And I think I would put most of those in the "chemical" category anyway. De-chlor is the only additive that has value - just one opinion though!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
plastics these days just like metals have been recycled so many times that makes it weaker ,or is it just me that thinks this

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If you've ever had a vinyl tube or plastic that was soft and pliable, and over time it's turned hard and brittle, that's because the plasticizers have leached out, either through the air or through the water.
Plasticizers can get into the environment and do damage to living organisms. Some countries have banned their use in plastics that are used around babies, like toys and bottles.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My pond is fairly new. The ecosystem is still forming. I been adding good bacteria and have plenty of plants but still hasn’t fully developed.

My concern is having something in the pond to keep my koi active. I figure it’s near impossible to stop them from nibbling on my plants. I just ordered a viewing bubble but wanted to provide something for shelter. I haven’t had luck with fully submersible plants as they make too much of a mess.

I bought a BPA free dog food bin from gamma2.net to add as a koi cave. It is supposed to be made of “safe” plastic if there is such a thing. Lol I’m worried about the plastic releasing harmful chemicals into my pond. If anybody has any knowledge on this matter please let me know.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are you hoping the cave will keep them busy? Like a koi toy?

I would assume the plastic is safe in the form it was intended to be used - to store dog food. Keeping it under water - that would concern me.

How about using something that is known to be safe - like a clay pot or chimney flue?

Ask a Question