Is hydrogen peroxide a good algae-killer?

Reaction score
We've bought a house with a handsome 4,500-gallon (my estimate) koi pond about 15' by 30', around 5' deep. Big waterfall, AquaBead filter, ZappPure UV, aerator bubbling through a two-foot-long air stone. I'm assuming everything is properly sized, since the pond was professionally built about three years ago.

There's just one koi in it right now. We lost eight this past winter (Hudson River Valley, NY) because the previous owner told me _not_ to break the ice over the bubbler when it finally froze over despite the bubbling. (They were his fish which we were just warehousing for him, so I did what he wanted.)

Anyway, the pond is now (July) heavy with green algae growth despite running the bubbler constantly and the waterfall maybe six hours a day. And no, I'm not gonna run the waterfall any longer than that; it's powered by a big motor, and I'm not a fan of recreational wasting of electricity.

An assumedly knowledgeable pro "pond guy" advised me to put in five gallons or so of hydrogen peroxide to quickly kill the algae.

Questions:

1/Is this good advice?
2/What grade of hydrogen peroxide should I use?
3/Where do I buy it, preferably on line?

Thanks,
Stephan Wilkinson

Ask a Question