is my pump strong enough for winter?

beeliz

Beeliz
Reaction score
here's a pic of my pump..it has about 7-8 inch lift,,will this be sugfficient for the winter,to keep it from freezing completely?
thanks,,
IMG_2856.jpg

it's 3.5 feet in the center,,and about 2 feet around the sides.,,and it's 5 feet by 5 feet square.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It might, how cold do you get? Some one did post a picture of a frozen pond with ice mounds, from the air coming from his air pumps.

beeliz

Beeliz
Reaction score
it gets to about -25 on some nights...average about -15. and about -10 daytime..But we have had cold snaps which are -20 daytime,but they don't last long.
I'm hoping the bagged leaves will add insulation,,what do you think??

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That will help some, bagged leaves are a good insulation. BURRRRRRRRRRRR
i am really not sure if just moving water will keep moving when it is that cold. I have seen moving streams freeze up. Maybe some of those that live in that cold of an area can help you out.

There is a thread someone started for those cold zones, will see if I can find it for you.

beeliz

Beeliz
Reaction score
My fish were at the surface just a few mins ago,,when I was adding the bagged leaves,,looking for food..it's already been -3 some nights and they're doing great ,,,so far ....:yikesu:
fingers crossed.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
For everything I have read in this forum, the main thing is to keep a hole in the ice for air exchange.

What kind of fish? Goldies are a little tougher than koi.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i had to look up lionhead's wow what a head on those fish!

From what I have read, your temperature might be too cold for the koi. Lets see if some northern koi peeps pipe in. (I don't have koi), At this moment just one goldie and a shubumkin, they shocked me recently by showing up. Put them in the pond a few months ago never saw them again........lol

Have you thought of using a trough heater?

beeliz

Beeliz
Reaction score
no,,I don't want to use anymore electricity., we don't have the proper groundings for it. But I have heard of people around here who don't do a thing during the winter,,like never winterize and it freezes over and the fish are still fine in the spring,,but with my little pond I'm more concerned .. I don't want to lose the fish.
So I hope by insulating with the bagged leaves and keeping that pump moving,it should be fine. ??? hopefully !!!!

and to your reply addy,,,yes..lionheads are beautiful,and have ridiculously friendly personalities! Mine swim into my hand when I clean out the tank and let me hold them,,it's so cute!
I just love lionheads,,you have to get one!

rdk

Reaction score
I am sorry but I don't think it will work. I live in southern New England and the temps in winter gets into the teens, not below. Everything freezes over in just the night. Nothing working except heat from a di- icer That saved my fish. Maybe a plastic pond cover will work great. RDK

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
beeliz said:
no,,I don't want to use anymore electricity., we don't have the proper groundings for it. But I have heard of people around here who don't do a thing during the winter,,like never winterize and it freezes over and the fish are still fine in the spring,,but with my little pond I'm more concerned .. I don't want to lose the fish.
So I hope by insulating with the bagged leaves and keeping that pump moving,it should be fine. ??? hopefully !!!!

I don't know if it would work, how about covering with heavy plastic, with room for a light bulb to hang? Brood heat lamp, 100 watt spot or something like that. That would help keep the temp up in the air above the water. We did this for a boat motor we did not have time to winterize and it did fine over winter.
But the motor is not alive.......lol

beeliz

Beeliz
Reaction score
I could try to go get a de-icer,,I just heard that they don't take too much voltage,,depends I guess on the size?
I just need to keep the top from freezing over,,or perhaps a plastic cover with pvc...I'll have to look into that,,
thanks!

Reaction score
I think most people in cold climates who don't have a deep in-ground pond bring their fish in for the winter. You can get a plastic stock tank from a farm store and have enough space for your fish if they are small.

If you can't bring them in, I think you really need a protective shelter. I don't know if something like this would work:

http://www.littlegreenhouse.com/flowerhouse-spring.shtml

You'd have to do some reinforcing for it to handle big snows, but if you got one just big enough to fit over your pond and then put the leaf bags around the outside, it won't blow away and should keep the temperature warm enough to keep a hole open in the ice.

Ask a Question