Is this a snowflake?

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Taiwan and got these plants. My Mandarin is pretty bad and I don't know the name of these plants. They look like white snowflakes [nymphoides indica], however, they are not rooted in soil and just float around. They are making new leaves. Can anyone help me regarding:
1. their name?
2. they are making new leaves - should I cut of the new leaf to make a new one, or just let them be?

Here are some photos.
Thanks in advance!

tjSgOHu.jpg

LVCmRhl.jpg

LY4wO97.jpg

Reaction score
They are like water lilies. Their leaves float at the surface of the water while the roots are anchored in soil or what ever you plant your lilies in below the water. They are constantly spreading runners out and like a water lettuce, you can pinch off the new plantlets and share with friends:) or just start a new plant.

Last edited:
Reaction score
They are like water lilies. Their leaves float at the surface of the water while the roots are anchored in soil or what ever you plant your lilies in below the water.

Thanks, that is exactly my question: this one has no roots in the soil, the roots are only about 2inches, they are not anchored in anything.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are like water lilies. Their leaves float at the surface of the water while the roots are anchored in soil or what ever you plant your lilies in below the water. They are constantly spreading runners out and like a water lettuce, you can pinch off the new plantlets and share with friends:) or just start a new plant.
Do they ever get out of hand?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, those are so cool! I'd take those over our typical water lilies any day, just because of the fact that they don't need to be planted.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Hey they actually say the peltata will grow in our state in some area's.

Nymphoides peltata
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nymphoides peltata

Scientific classification
Kingdom: Plantae
(unranked): Angiosperms
(unranked): Eudicots
(unranked): Asterids
Order: Asterales
Family: Menyanthaceae
Genus: Nymphoides
Species: N. peltata
Binomial name
Nymphoides peltata

(S.G. Gmel.) Kuntze
Nymphoides peltata (syn. Villarsia nymphaeoides, Fringed Water-lily, Yellow Floating-heart, Water Fringe) is an aquatic plant of the family Menyanthaceae native to Eurasia. It has cordate floating leaves that support a lax inflorescence of yellow flowers with fringed petal margins. The fruit is a capsule bearing many flattened seeds with stiff marginal hairs.

The plants are commonly sold for use in ornamental water gardens. Outside their native range, however, they can escape cultivation and become nuisance noxious weeds.

Flowers of N. peltata are heterostylous and weakly self-incompatible.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
That excerpt is confusing two different plants, j.w.! Nymphoides peltata is the Floating Heart, with a yellow flower. The Water Snowflake is N. cristata, with white flowers. Cristata is good in zones 7-8, but peltata will survive in zones 5-8.
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So the other one will live here too? I can have them both then. I just found the one when looking for the other and thought I'd share. White, yellow it's all good :)

Ask a Question