Issue with pressurised filter - Aquapond AP5000

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi all,
Complete newbie when it comes to the nuances of pond maintenance and the related equipment so forgive my ignorance...

Just moved into a place with an outdoor pond (with goldfish), a fountain with pump and a pressurised filter (Aquapond AP5000). All was working wonderfully until I briefly turned it all off the other night...

Since turning it back on, the filter has been constantly spurring stream of water from the valve on top (green valve inside clear plastic casing) - used to be a tiny bubbling. Shoots a metre high and doesn't seem to be subsiding. Was hoping this would settle after a little while but now day 3 and counting.

Have attached a file to show the filter if it helps.

The inlet (impeller?) and outlet seem to be working. Just no idea how to reduce this spurting water... Assume it's something to do with the pressure not being right.

Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Tim

Attachments

• IMG_4588.JPG
    IMG_4588.JPG
    218.9 KB · Views: 269
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure about this as my filters are totally differen from this one however I feel one of our members should be able to help you .

Dave

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I think that you may have blown out the retaining ring inside of that twist-off cap (where the water is spewing from).

That twist-off cap appears to be the "cleaning" port for back-flushing the filter media.

A quick test (partial fix) would be to cut a small piece of EPDM to fit inside the cap.

Turn off your pump(s), depressurize the canister, twist off the cap, insert the EPDM, turn the pump(s) back on.

Should hold.

If not, look for the manufacturers label, go on-line for the parts and order the replacement cap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
I'm not positive but the http://www.aquatecequipment.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/AquaPro-AP5000.pdf Instructions talk about an optional UV light for your filter, and that's what the source of the leak looks like to me. If there is an electrical cord going into the other side of that thingy that's leaking it's a pretty good bet it's a UV clarifier and either the quartz sleeve is broken or one of the O-rings are. UVs often have a view port so you can see that the light is on, my suspicion is that's where the water is leaking out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Your filter looks very much like my Easy Pro 2500. If so, I concur with @morewater . The UV light should be housed under the section with the circle of screws and the viewing area ( to make sure light is on ) is the small "circle".

Welcome to the forum :)

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
We can wax poetic over every small detail.

The point is to know your equipment (model, manufacturer, etc.) and to be able to diagnose your problems and to derive your own conclusions, then to formulate your response. To go on-line (for example ; "winter, what should I do with my pond?) indicates a laziness and the unwillingness (laziness) to do basic research on your own behalf.

Cranky. Getting cold. Need a beach and a recuperative gin a& tonic.

It's all just logic, inductive and deductive.

If "a"' then "b"' .

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Thanks all for your responses. Much appreciated.

@morewater No laziness here. More than willing to do the research. Not alot online about this particular filter. Still finding my feet and thought there may have been an obvious diagnosis before I start tinkering. Appreciate your input.

Will open it all up and have a look and report back.

Ask a Question