It rained !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
Last night and over the next few days we are getting some rain.
The pond level rose over 1 1/2 inches and I raised the skimmer door to the highest level.

My question is, what do you do when your pond is getting too high ?
Do you have a small pump you throw in to drain of the excess ?

With more rain on the way, I would like to take steps to insure the pond stays in good shape

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Some people have little overflow spot where the water can leave the pond. I dont have a dedicate spot so when it rain hard, my pond just overflow out at several spots. Most over rocks so the fish wont be able to get through. My old pond, I have a 1 inch pipe over to where i want my water level to be and cover it with fine net so when the pond get overflow, the baby fish cant get through the overflow pipe.

With Hurricane Matthew, I drain half the pond water a day before but i still got a lot overflow. I have an outlet with faucet between my pipe so i could just turn the faucet so I just turn it on to let the water out.

Ruben Miranda

I am so confused
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
12a
Country
United States
Hello
What part of Calif are you
Just wondering I am in So ca Whittier area and so far,the rain they kept harpening about has,not showed up,. Disappointment

Now to your question
When I did my pond I put in a overflow area on one end.
Since it is not a good idea for the water to rise over the edges of the pond as this will cause erosion.

So you can
Put in a over flow pipe that flows out pass the pond and not cause problems
You can get a small pump hook a hose to it plu it to a switch and turn it on when the water line gets to high. If you do this put the pump up on a block or some (keep it off the bottom) just in case you walk off and forget about it. This way it won't drain the pond, all you lose is a pump and not worse.
I think these are the 2 best choices
Unless you want to get a bucket and get on bucket brigade :)

Ruben

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
When I built my pond, I also didn't think to add an overflow but it is real easy to add afterwards. On the side where the yard slopes away from the pond, I removed a few of the rocks and dug out a 1"- 2" little trench under the liner. I then pushed the liner down into the trench making a very small opening for the water to come through and then covered the top with rocks. Most of the time this is a dry creek bed, but the couple of times when I get enough rain, the excess water flows out of the pond and goes under the bridge.
overflow (3).JPG

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Incorporate an overflow drain at the lowest end of your pond and direct the overflow water downhill.

A small hole can be cut through the liner and a bulkhead fitting threaded through the liner, attached to a piece of sump-pump tubing suffices.

I take it that your pond doesn't have a skimmer, as most skimmers incorporate an overflow drain.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I'm getting that same Pacific push, pond overflowed last week, I just let it. Unless you have something you don't want getting wet nearby it shouldn't hurt anything. You could use a pump to redirect the water to a garden or planters...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9B
Country
United States
I may leave it as is for now, It only raised about 2 inches. Will see if evaporation will take care of it... I will look at the skimmer and see if there is a way to drain off overflow into the yard drain the lies under the lawn near the cement. Should not be too big of a deal.

Ask a Question