It's offical, Deep South Koi and Water Garden Society is proud to announce

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
After almost 6 months of planning and putting together spread sheets and punching the #'s for the cost's, date's, building lease, etc. The club took a look at what that the committee had put together as far as idea's for the show, the place, Costs, etc. and have voted it's approval.
After a 2 hour meeting discussing details and reviewing everyone thoughts and concerns the vote was 100% unanimous for the green light to
move forward with making the announcement.
In conjunction with the LSU Garden club and SELAS (South East Louisiana Aquarium Society) I am excited to announce that we will be hosting the first annual Koi and Goldfish show March the 29th 2014 at the LSU Lawn and Garden show in Baton Rouge. The Koi and water Garden club took a final vote yesterday and with 100% approval we are happy to announce that the show is a go! The setting up will take place Friday, all entries will be entered on Saturday morning, Judging will be done Saturday and the awards will be done Saturday evening so that the fish can be returned back to their homes on Saturday evening. Tear down of the event will be Sunday morning.
More details to follow as they become available,

Also would like to note that anyone in the Louisiana area that might like to attend, Purdin Koi farms is holding its annual Fall mud pond pull Saturday Nov. 3 and Sunday Nov. 4th at the river facility near Glynn La. this coming weekend. If your serious about learning more about quality Koi I invite you to attend.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Very good news and I'm excited for you. You will have to take photo's of all the fish and goings on there :banana:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
WOW! That's great! Congrats! Gonna put that March date in my calendar.

Now, if LA just had a NWLA "fish" club or organization (not the angler kind -- plenty of that). Seems our priorities are different up here....

Thanks for sharing, Larkin!

PS -- got "Scout" plans for the next couple of w/ends, but the mud pond thing sounds interesting.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's a great event, Next Saturday, I've already talked to over 40 Koi keepers that will be attending from all over the world. England, UK, Australia, and Canada will be there for sure along with people from all over the US. There are only about a half dozen people coming that live closer than you do TM. Might even make a great trip for the scouts but I'm sure way to close a date to plan something like that. . Just the wealth of knowledge is worth the trip to me. Someone told me to bring a big check book, I said I thought the event was free, They told me that some of the fish will go way up in price when people start bidding, I said if I don't bring my checkbook then I learn a ton of information with out worrying about going bankrupt. lol

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
One week away and the work has been unbelievable on how much goes into hosting a show like this. I have two trailers packed and a list a page long of things that have to be packed up the night before the show. I did get the last 8'x8' pond up and running this past week. Drained the mud pond to see what the 1 year olds looked like and see if I was bringing any of them to the show. Pumped out water all day yesterday and last night. walked out this morning and a great blue heron was having breakfast on one of the 12" koi. I ended up only recovering 11 out of the 25 that we placed back in the mud pond to grow out. Only two koi I'm even kind of happy with. Also got in the Butterfly pond this morning and cleaned up some of the dead stalks and leaves and cleaned the intake to the bog pump. Water lilies are starting to send leaves to the surface and we pulled about 50-60 plants to take to the water garen booth next weekend. If anyone is close to the Baton Rouge La. area and want to come check out the show and all the activities there is an open invitation to come check it out Saturday March 29th from 9am until about 3pm. Car show, chili cook-off, lawn and Garden show, and a koi and goldfish show. Plus the weather is suppose to be really nice. Looking forward to a full but fun weekend. Pictures to follow soon.

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thank you Lou. I have four koi and two goldfish I plan on entering. Must say I'm quite nervous. Very much a new experience prepping to pack up and move 6 of your best fish for the first time. The good part is I have probably some of the most experience packing and moving fish of the 15 people who are entering fish. Should be fun and educational. I also have a fellow coming in Friday night and is staying with us and going to the show Sat. He's been showing for a couple of years in Orlando and should be a great assistance in wrangling the fish out of the pond at 4am in the morning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Larkin that exellent news our own club has had shows since 1991 Val and I are the only people to show at all of them we wish you all the very best for your first ever show.(y)
May your club have as many as the Plymouth Society and may they be like our own fun events .
A good money earner is a koi and Goldfish raffle or £100 cash equivulent prize for non fish keepers .
Weve as yet to win this but Val's Cousin Maggie and her husband have winning a stunning Sanke a few years ago.
Other ideas are as follows have a guest koi dealership, tombola. Hook a Duck for the kids (strange how mostly adults end up playing this game) :LOL: but have prizes for the kids .
We have people of interest such as the Plymouth Owl man and his owl's Plymouth Bonsai Society , Plymouth Wood Carvers, a childrens Matrial arts display team .:)
Membership stand for your club .
Have people on hand to talk to folks about what your about , what the fish are their history etc etc.;)
If you can keep it a closed show meaning no entrants from other societies ( the logistics are too great),,,,,.
Have a dedicated show committee but above all make it a fun interesting day for all "Fish keeper and non fish keeper's alike
Also make sure your event is well advertized in advance using the media, papers, posters etc
Above all have a barrel of fun(y)
If you need advice on moving koi to and from shows safely please ask we dont mind helping

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
One thing though Larkin Never rely on the weather to do what you want it too because it goes and does the opposite but we pray that you have good weather for your show.
I remember our 5th ever show it was in a large indoor Green house thankfully as the heavens opened up much to everyones horror however the green house leaked and to make matters even worse the green house had been used for other things prior to the show (it was also white washed inside), well the next thing you know we were being dripped on .
Then someone noticed that one of our members had a white streak down their back .
Well by the end of the day everyone was coated in white run off from the glass panels and all but soaked to the skins streaked in white .
Much to say we no longer use that particular garden centre to show :LOL:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Larkin,
Good luck - hoping to make it from Houston - even just for the Saturday...
is saturday going to be the best day for viewing fish and perhaps purchasing koi?
(of course, i have NO method picked yet for travlling 4 hours by car with a koi or two!)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
One week away and the work has been unbelievable on how much goes into hosting a show like this. I have two trailers packed and a list a page long of things that have to be packed up the night before the show. I did get the last 8'x8' pond up and running this past week. Drained the mud pond to see what the 1 year olds looked like and see if I was bringing any of them to the show. Pumped out water all day yesterday and last night. walked out this morning and a great blue heron was having breakfast on one of the 12" koi. I ended up only recovering 11 out of the 25 that we placed back in the mud pond to grow out. Only two koi I'm even kind of happy with. Also got in the Butterfly pond this morning and cleaned up some of the dead stalks and leaves and cleaned the intake to the bog pump. Water lilies are starting to send leaves to the surface and we pulled about 50-60 plants to take to the water garen booth next weekend. If anyone is close to the Baton Rouge La. area and want to come check out the show and all the activities there is an open invitation to come check it out Saturday March 29th from 9am until about 3pm. Car show, chili cook-off, lawn and Garden show, and a koi and goldfish show. Plus the weather is suppose to be really nice. Looking forward to a full but fun weekend. Pictures to follow soon.

Larkin, do you have a link for the show, location, directions, etc? We're still looking at heading down, but not familiar with BR.

Ask a Question