Jabsco BCF-15000 UV pond filter

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I had my pond cleaned out and power washed. I installed a new 24w UV light after the cleaning. The water is turning green and the rocks are turning green again.

Approx Pond area: 6x8 4 deep

My question is:

• I bought my new bulb off amazon for $25 dollars, it fits, it lights up just as it should but perhaps differences could exist in bulbs?
  • Should my Jabsco UV 24W pond filter system still allow for green build up?
  • I am in Chicago area but in direct sunlight, I am going to put in plants this weekend as the weather is ready to support, perhaps the lack of plants is causing this.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
A pond should never be 'powr-washed! Algae plays an integral part in attaining biological (and chemical) balance in a pond, especially the periphyton that grows on all of the submerged surfaces.
What you are experiencing now is the pond biota re-establishing itself.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is one of the worst things you can do to a pond .agree agree .If your pond is just starting up it needs time and now an even longer time .You may be able to clear it up with liquid barley and peat .But all the good muck is gone

Reaction score
This is part of an article . To read the full article go to
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

I bought the TMC and did a review of it on Youtube. Best money I have spent on the pond and would buy it again.

"Be wary of the popular use of medium pressure UV Bulbs that produce only about 10% true UVC wavelengths versus the better low pressure UV bulbs/lamps which produce 3.5 times the important UVC wave lengths. Originally many of the medium pressure bulbs were deigned for "nail curing" where lower output is actually desired, however many sellers of UV bulbs for aquariums/ponds have now taken to selling these due to the much lower cost. This is very common with discounters, Amazon, & eBay sellers.
  • Purchasing these bulbs results in a UV Sterilizer that is much less effective (if at all for anything other than some clarification), which then saving $10 results in making your UV Sterilizer not much more than a filter with a "pretty blue light".

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This is part of an article . To read the full article go to
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/AquariumUVSterilization.html

Very good article. It supports the sad fact that most UV units that are installed in a pond are simply inadequate. They barely perform clarification and are certainly nowhere close to providing sterilization. They must be sized to the pond capacity and optimal flow rate. If not they are just a non-productive device draining your bank account.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintstone

Latest Threads