Japanese filter mat

gasman

What is the air speed of a swallow?
Reaction score
OK just got 2 mats today. Anyone ever use these?They are quite thick and heavy duty. Wondering still should use some bio balls. Setting up a 60 gallon rubbermade container as bio filter.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
You should use these as mechanical filtration. Use bioballs as biofiltration.

gasman

What is the air speed of a swallow?
Reaction score
That's what I thought too. Some sites say that this mat acts as biofiltration also. I suppose it could but with my setup I am making it's going to have a bucket of bioballs after the mechanical filter. A 2 stage system.Thanks!

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Some sites say that this mat acts as biofiltration also.
They're wrong. There is a fundamental difference between the two types and they serve different purposes.

Bio-media is media on which bacteria colonize. It should not get clogged up and should not need to be cleaned. If it gets clogged up, then the bacteria is going to get covered.

Mechanical filtration media is where suspended particles (waste matter) get caught and separated from the water. The media should get clogged up and cleaned so the particulates are removed from the pond.

Anything whose surface area gets clogged up, covered up and then has to be cleaned isn't going to be any good as media for bacteria.

Just basic common sense.

Ask a Question