Jointing preformed pond to a linerpond

Reaction score
Hello
Just kicking this around if there's a way to use my exiting preformed pond I have now running just installed a month ago to a liner pond.
See I'm already wanting to build larger pond.
I was given a new 13x20 liner and I was just going to use as a bigger pond and do away with the preformed pond.
Any suggests
Picture shows exiting pond and red outline picture shows something I was thinking about.
Also do you think I should wait till spring before doing anything.
Thanks
Allen

Reaction score
FreshPaint-4-2014.09.11-08.53.08.jpg
20140911_190227_Android.jpg

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Agree with Deez, but no need to raise the existing. Simply drill a hole in the side of the preform to divert the water into the newly dug, larger pond. Disguise the preform lip with stone. JMO.

Reaction score
I have always been a fan of raised ponds, I like to sit on the edge and watch my fish. So another option is to build the new part raised and have it spill into the old part.

As far as when to build it, I would do it this fall. I assume you are taking the fish inside for the winter, just do it then. If your like me in the Spring things find a way to drag out and take longer then you had hoped. I had to change the liner in one of my ponds this year and it ended up delaying my fish going out by a month.

oh I think your sunflower needs a drop of water. :)

Steve

Last edited:
Reaction score
The preform is jumping out to me as being a bog/waterfall and you could get another strip of liner and have a small stream that empties into your new pond! I love my stream and part is trench out 12" so my fish can swim up into it and play in the sheet water fall from the stream that falls to the pond section. Have fun! Have you thought about putting in a skimmer?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We drilled a few holes in a preform my honey got for me, added it to the pond loop. The holes were 1 inch, we stuck in a short piece of 1 inch pvc into the holes, sealed them in with pl roofing goop. The pvc allows a nice flow back to the big pond. It is a slow flow because of the way we feed water to that pond. A greater flow would need 2 inch pvc.

Reaction score
hello
What would you do to make pond bigger.
I have a 13'x20' liner.
What kind of design would you make it.
As seen in the picture the patio is on jeft side where we would like to sit and watch the fish.
I was thinking of pulling the performed pond out, and building pond design like the red outline except turn it a little more to the patio and the small 3foot wide area put a small bridge over it.
This all started with catching 8 comet's at work in there run off pond from parking lot because fish were coming into parking lot drains and after a couple of days fish were dying. So I netted 8 fish that are about 3-4" long and brought the preformed pond. And then I when to my exbrotherlaws store and brought 3 koi's about 3" long. Well yesterday when to my son's house a got 4 more comet's and 1 6-7" koi and 2 large bullfrogs because they were removing there pond yesterday.
So now I got 16 fish in this pond.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I would do what we have all already suggested. In my opinion, removing the preformed and just using the liner isn't the best idea. For one, I wouldnt like the shape. It would cut down on the gallons the pond holds, and with 16 fish, you need all the gallons you can get. Also, I would want to have the extra filtration that the preformed liner bog would provide, since that many fish will create a lot of waste.

Ask a Question