Just discovered fish in my pond... now what?

Reaction score
Hello!

I found this board/website researching what to do with a little surprise I found last week. I bought a house almost 3 months ago and the day of the final walkthrough the previous owner told me there was a pond out back. What he forgot to tell me, or didn't know since he never actually lived in the house, is that there were fish in this pond. I didn't notice for a couple of months because I didn't really go to that part of the yard and when I did my dog would always run around it, scaring them below the surface, but last week I was standing by it trying to figure out how to clean it out and noticed an orange thing swimming. I can't see below about an inch under the surface, but I've counted at least 20 at one time, ranging from the size of a pinky finger, to the size of a hand- I think they're goldfish in that they're gold, but the big guy is white, with brown and red/orange, if that matters.

Anyway, so I now I have a fish pond and I don't know what to do with it, but I can't just let them die, so I want to become a fish person. I've attached a picture so you can see what I'm dealing with(this was right when I fed them, so I don't leave the food sitting there- it was gone a couple minutes later). I think it's roughly 7 feet by 3 feet, and it seems to only be a foot deep, but I thought they wouldn't be able to survive a New England winter if it's that shallow, so I'm not sure. Now onto my million questions- any and all help would be much appreciated.

1. DE-ALGAE-FYING IT: As you can see, the water is gross- I've read a million things that are supposed to work, but I'm not sure what the mix of things I need. I bought TetraPond Algae control, but I don't have a pump going yet, so I saw it wasn't safe to use. I did try to use it once (before I read that I needed a pump) and it didn't do anything and the fish are alive still, so I'm afraid to do it again. The girls at PetSmart said to try and put a tarp over it to shade it- does this work? I've also heard of replacing 1/4 of the water at a time- is this effective? I've been doing a couple of pitchers at a time adding the TetraPond stuff that makes tap water safe for fishies, but I'm not sure if this is even an effective thing to do. I also bought a couple of plants at Lowe's yesterday because I saw plants are supposed to help, but they need to grow and summer's running out.

2. FILTER: On top of where the waterfall is supposed to be, I found a box(like for christmas decorations) with another plastic thing in it that has holes in it, with sponge type cloth in it. from what I read, is this a homemade filter? It completely broke apart when I touched it because it probably hasn't been moved in 3+ years, so I can't reuse it, which leads me to- is it easier/cheaper to make one like that, or just buy one? How do I do either of those things :)

3. PUMP: I read that I needed to have water constantly going to make oxygen for them- I bought a smart pond fp155 and a waterfall attachment thing, but i'm afraid to put it in the pond because I read on the box it isn't meant for marine life, but then multiple places online it says it IS safe for fish, so I'm not sure what to think. Anyone know? Also- should I be nervous about electrocuting myself? I mean it plugs into a wall and goes into the water- every other electrical product I have says this isn't normal. Is this supposed to be in some type of enclosure? I would rather the pump go down the waterfall, but I couldn't find the tubing or whatever that you need for it so I got the fountain attachment.

I know that's a lot, but any advice would be great, and as dumbed down as possible as I have no idea about any of this stuff.

Thanks!
Megan

Attachments

• Pond.JPG
    Pond.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 355

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Welcome and was probably a home made filter and easy to make a new one check out you tube and that is not very deep they must had a heater and is there electric to the pond
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53329]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52793]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52797]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52796]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52798]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52795]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:47367]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:52790]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The makings of mine will give you an idea and there are lots of ways to build one .I double up the totes by cutting the handles off one and put another inside it so it is stronger

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pumps you can get at harbor freight and I found good energy efficient ones pondfilter.com .You don't really need a big pump .I use quilt batting soaked in peroxide and water in a basket setting on top of my filters .It catches the fine stuff
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:58108]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:58107]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57795]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57794]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:57138]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:53602]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:54043]

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Extra water from my pump I just get a ball valve and tied the hose to my bridge to hold it up .I also used sump pump hose to run lines from my pump to the waterfall and filters .Cheaper at 10 dollars but it is 1/14 inch and I have to use hose clamps to attach it to the pump

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Welcome, I wish I have a surprise like that, fun!

Anyway, I'm also new to this and I made my own makeshift filter so it's doable, promise (as long as you have some power tools, though) There are lots of ways to build a filter so you can go on YouTube and find which one you want.

The things you need to get the pond going is a pump, a mechanical filter (filter off those solid fish waste, can use quilt batting), and bio-filter (the good bacteria that turn Ammonia (from fish waste) to Nitrite to Nitrate (I hope I got that right) - these good bacteria lives off every type of surface, that's why people put the bio-balls, lava rocks etc, to increase the surface for these bacteria to live and grow.

In your filter box, you can put both the mechanical and bio-filter together. you put the pump in the pond, connect the pump to the hose and the hose to the filter box for the water to run through the filter, then the water come out, back to the pond.

I'm not sure what is your smart pond fp155 and a waterfall attachment thing is - but if that is a pump with the waterfall attachment, it should be fine and if the waterfall attachment has place to put all the filters, you might not even need to make the separate filter box.

You do not need to use algae control.. right now the algae is keeping your fish alive by eating all the ammonia the fish produce, if you kill the algae before your bio-filter establish (can take a month) you might have an ammonia spike and this can kill fish.

(But if you run pump and algae got in the pump and break it, that's another matter, I dont know anything about that :)

GreatDanesDad

Electro-Mechanical Engineer
Reaction score
Welcome, after the hours, days, and even years some people spend on making a pond and raising fish, you should feel pretty blessed to have found a Bonus Pond on your new property. So congrads!

For some of your questions the answers are actually really simple. To start, although the water is full of algae, it is probably healthy. The very first thing you need to do is find a way to get more oxygen into the water. This is accomplished with water circulation and hopefully a waterfall. If you can get a pump in the water and get it moving, that should really help, if you can get the outlet of the pump 6-8 inches above the water so it splashes in, that would also really help. The plants and algae in the water are currently helping by converting Co2 to O2.

The next step would be to get a test kit, and test the water. Here is a test kit that I have had great luck with. Liquid test kits are always better. If you test the water and post your results people on here are very helpful. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DJNN0/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I would add barley straw as well. When it starts to break down it does great things for your water.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002568YK/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That really is all you need to keep the fish alive in ok temperatures. For clean water there are hundreds of solutions. I love the basket and quilt batting method. That is the method I use when I get a little murky.

Once you get these things going you can start working on a biological filter. There are so many different kinds, but if you use the above test strips, you may find that your pond already has biological filtering in the media on the bottom and the algae suspended. Be careful not to do anything drastic, small changes go a long way to keeping the pond healthy. Remember although murky, your water may already be healthy and from your account you have all ages of fish, the fish are reproducing which is a good sign.

Good Luck!!!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

Patience and time, you will get the pond in good shape. Don't get frustrated it will take some time.

How much muck is on the bottom, can you feel a deep layer of stuff? If so you might want to slowly scoop it out. I use a pool net to net the bottom of my pond.

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Just discovered fish in my pond, now what?

I would say that is normal, if you find them on land, or using your bathroom, give me a call :)

J/K, welcome to the group.

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your responses! At first I was a little concerned about having to take care of a pond- but now I love it, much to my husband's dismay. Still hard to figure out how many fish are in there since I can't see below the surface but I saw another big one the other day. Will be interesting to see how many there are once it gets clear.

I ended up getting a filter and pump kit on amazon that has a fountain so for the time being I can at least get some water moving and start to filter out some of the junk. It has a biofilter too- i've just been needing to rinse them out every day because the filter that isn't the bio one (i'm learning, but slowly) gets completely filled with green gunk within 24 hours and makes the fountain come almost to a stop. I stuck my hand in the bottom when I was putting the filter and pump in and there is a ton of leaves and sludge at the bottom, so I'll slowly start to clean that out- will need to get a net or something because who knows what's down there and I don't want to end up with 9 fingers. Anyway, now that I see how this filter works, I get more what everyone is saying about making one and that will be my next project so I can have the lovely waterfall effect- after I get this cleaned. I'll keep you posted.

Reaction score
One thing you might conswater?s buying a large tub from tractor supply or somewhere like that. For now you could keep the fish in there while you do a major cleanout, and you could use it inside this winter if you don't want to leave the fish outside. Once you get your pump you could pump the water from the old pond into the new tub and transfer the fish directly in. Believe it or not the green algae is what is filtering the water right now. They "eat" the poisons that would otherwise harm your fish. I would clean out the bottom of the old pond completely and then transfer the water back to the old pond.
Do you have city or well water? I ask because subjecting fish to tap water could kill them if not treated properly. There is usually chlorine in there and it will kill the fish. This is part of why I suggest using the old water, along with keeping the algae to filter out the ammonia and nitrite.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I can this weekend, but here's the kit I purchased: http://www.amazon.com/Pondmaster-PM...F8&qid=1376673129&sr=8-9&keywords=pond+filter

I've had to clean it out every day which is fine, but it doesn't seem any cleaner- any thoughts? Should I be noticing a difference by now? The filter is super dirty with sludge when I take it out every day to clean- is there something else I should be doing on top of this? I've slowly been cleaning out some of the old sticks and leaves at the bottom- but since I can't see the bottom, I'm nervous about sticking my hand someplace I can't see, especially after watching the movie piranha. I can feel a bunch of the rocks on the bottom- like the big ones that probably fell in from around it. Do I just suck it up and hope it doesn't lead to a hole in the earth that unleashes a bunch of prehistoric piranhas? Just in case I'm not having any parties in my yard...

Anyway- as I mentioned before, the main reason I purchased the kit was so I could see what the filter stuff is supposed to look and feel like (and I didn't get how a pump works, again, I'm not very smart with this stuff) so when I build one off of the directions people have given, I don't end up having mutant fish or fish going down my waterfall. So could it be that kit isn't powerful enough and I need to get a big one in the bins that I've seen?

Also it seems like there's room for another 4-5 inches of water- should I add some and will that help? (i have the dechlorinator stuff). Which reminds me, and again, I'm sure this may seem ridiculous- but the dechlorinator says to add it to 100 gallons of water or something, and am I supposed to add it before I put it in with the fish, or do I fill up the pond a bit more and then add it? I'm sure this is a really obvious question, but I don't get how someone would add 100 gallons of dechlorinated water unless they're starting from scratch.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Sorry! I guess I missed the email noti about it and didn't notice when I responded to the picture comment:( ... and you have a great idea, thanks...

So, if i use 1-2(I say two because of how many fish there are) of those big tubs that you use for christmas decorations and stuff, then pump out the water, clean it, refill it with city water, put some of the dechlorinator in it, let it sit for a couple days, then add the fish back it should be ok as long as I keep the filter in it- because the biofilter is what gets the harmful stuff out, right?

Thanks! Sorry again!

Ask a Question