Keeping container ponds cooler in the summer

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hello all! I just bought an 100 gallon, 4 by 2 by 2 foot galvanized animal water trough that I will use as a pond next year, and I wanted to know how to keep water temperatures under control for fish...I was hoping to keep it in at least 6 hours of sun a day for the Nymphaea odorata water lily I just bought for it and wanted to know how to keep water temps within reasonable levels (the fish I will be keeping is a very sturdy Greek killifish that can take temps into the 90's and down to the high 30's without incident, but I would like to keep them a tad lower if possible). Would a pump work for or against keeping this water garden's temperature down? Any other ideas to reduce pond temps other than keeping the pond in flower-stifling shade? Thankx for your quick replies!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
First of all, a metal container is going to heat up considerably quicker and be harder to keep cool than any other material. Will this be above of below ground?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are you going to line the container?

Also, something to think about is adding cladding around the outside. We've had members build nice container ponds surrounded by very nice wooden casings. It would be easy to add an insulation layer.

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Above ground, alas :( Parents are not at all keen about the idea of burying a pond. I wasn't planning on lining this container (didn't think you had to...it should hold water fine and since it's a drinking trough I doubt it contains anything harmful to fish).

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
what about wrap the container with a sort of insulation? or put plant pots close by to shade the side of the tank?

Joshaeus

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The pot idea (or at least plants in general if they are not in pots) sounds feasible...I'll try that :)

Ask a Question