Koi jumped out

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
Hi. I am new to this, during the evening one of my koi jumped out of the pond. I don't know for how long. It was raining however. When I fou d her, I assumed she was dead but after a bit I saw her mouth moving for air. I put her in the smaller pond to see if she will survive. I don't know what to do for her and am upset she is. My favorite one,completely white. Is there any advice to help her. She coughed out some sand. My koi never jumped out before. I put this colorization stuff in that said will prevent uv rays and keep the water cooler in the summer. Could it be that? I think I am going to filter it out anyway.

Smaug

God makes perfect. I just dug the hole
Reaction score
Country
United States
If they never reacted this way before and after yiu did some change then it's a safe bet that it was the change that did it. I would never use dye in a pond with fish,uv doesn't need controlled and the only thing the dye is good for is to control algae which is easy enough to control otherwise. I hope your koi survives. Tell us more about your pond please.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is it spawning time for your fish ,you may need some type of net .I know some koi do not start breeding until they are a couple of years old .Make sure the koi has plenty of air in the water also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
Thank you. My pond has a water fall and a pump to move water around. I winter them inside at winter and they go in the pond when warmer. I recently had to repair a leak. I don't think t h ey were spawning. I have a screen over it now and need to put some dirt back around it. Other than that it's pretty much been the routine for a few years now. I do need to get that blue water out though...... or the white rocks. I'm thinking drain it a bit and put new water in gradually until it is clear. I want to purchase a heater for winter this year. Im down to two koi if she doesn't make it and three mini me gold fish. (Each one is the exact color each koi, it was a neat accident)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
But I have learned that a pump and waterfall are not really enough .When I first added an aerator back in 2007 I found my water cleared up and fish seemed happier .I went then from a 2 port to a 4 port and now have a 12 port and it is amazing just to see how clear the water is compared to other peoples ponds .Each time I also went to a bigger pond .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to filter it out a little faster use quilt batting .My neighbor put it in and was that a big mistake .She put the whole bottle in and her hose came loose from her pump and had to pull the pump and she had to go to work so guess who had smurf arms and hands .It does not wash off like they said it would .It was almost black it was so dark blue .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
to filter it out a little faster use quilt batting .My neighbor put it in and was that a big mistake .She put the whole bottle in and her hose came loose from her pump and had to pull the pump and she had to go to work so guess who had smurf arms and hands .It does not wash off like they said it would .It was almost black it was so dark blue .
Awesome idea. Thank you, I did maybe two cap fulls.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
14641254511231161942751.jpg
She didn't make it. :( thank you for all the advice! Here is a photo of the pond. She is buried there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
But I have learned that a pump and waterfall are not really enough .When I first added an aerator back in 2007 I found my water cleared up and fish seemed happier .I went then from a 2 port to a 4 port and now have a 12 port and it is amazing just to see how clear the water is compared to other peoples ponds .Each time I also went to a bigger pond .
How big an air at or did you use is there a special one for ponds?

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry about the loss but I want to take this opportunity to warn against getting any more koi. 250 gallons isn't big enough to keep more then a half dozen big comets in good shape. Do you have any plans in the near future to enlarge? If not then I suggest rehoming your existing koi to a keeper with a properly sized pond.

Smaug

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now that I'm looking at your pond I don't think it was the dye that made it jump. As I stated last post it's just to small for koi especially if they are getting much over 8 inches or so. Fish also jump because of poor quality water,do you test your water?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had your preformed as temporary pond until front porch was done and agree you will a bigger pond .My one aerator was a small one from petco and was a 4 port and it worked OK and came with every thing ,The new one I have is a laguna one .I have 2 koi and they are now over 2 feet long and were only a couple of inch's long back in 2004

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a to 6b
Country
United States
Sorry about the loss but I want to take this opportunity to warn against getting any more koi. 250 gallons isn't big enough to keep more then a half dozen big comets in good shape. Do you have any plans in the near future to enlarge? If not then I suggest rehoming your existing koi to a keeper with a properly sized pond.
I deffinately am not getting any more. And this pond does go down 4 feet. The koi as of now one is 8 inches. The other out a foot. I have been looking for someone with a larger pond. To make these guys happier. Right now they seem Co tent. Swimming and eating. I am going to purchase a net. Initially that box. Was going to be the pond. 8 x 8, I bought the wrong size plastic, I got these instant ones from a garage sale a few years back. Next year I may redo the entire set up to be larger. I am not certain.
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge.

Ask a Question