koi mosaic

Reaction score
I have a lot of (too many!) hobbies, which include making mosaics on old bowling balls for garden decoration. My dear friend has a lovely koi pond so I made her this ball and somehow I thought you folks might appreciate it!

10435907_10204034384326337_8140935504803506443_n.jpg

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They are pretty small pieces, cemented on with weatherproof glue (E6000) and then grouted with exterior grout. I have made quite a few over the years and they are all outside all year and have lasted pretty well. If you have Pintrest you should be able to see this Board.
http://www.pinterest.com/rushdoggie/bowling-ball-mosaics-i-have-made/
WOW! Those are awesome and you are very talented! We have a member here who does tile work -- I hope he sees these!

• Do you do the pattern free-form or do you transfer it to the ball?
  • Do you do anything different with the bottom so the ball doesn't roll?
  • How long does it take you to make one?
And thank you for sharing with us!

@ALLINKDUP Billy, are you still around the forum? This reminded me of your tile work....

Last edited:
Reaction score
WOW! Those are awesome and you are very talented!

Aw, thanks! to answer your questions:

• Do you do the pattern free-form or do you transfer it to the ball?
I only use a pattern for the specific designs, I just free form the swirls and stuff. If I do specific design like the dogs or hummingbird I do the pattern on paper then I usually cut out the designs out and play with the positioning on the balls then transfer them on with a china marker
  • Do you do anything different with the bottom so the ball doesn't roll?
I usually fill all the holes in the balls except 1 by stuffing them with foil except the last 1/4" inch that I fill with wood putty. I keep one hole open so it can be mounted on a bit of rebar to keep it from rolling. I also make a ring of thicker tile around that hole and seal the edges with epoxy so it will not roll and also moisture will not get under the grout.
  • How long does it take you to make one?
Depends on how intricate the design is and how motivated I am! But they take quite a few hours each.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought of that, too, but I'm sure it would be expensive even to ship with in the same country. They are very nice!

Ask a Question