Koi Now or Later

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I've been offered a pair of free butterfly koi - pretty little things, about the size of my goldfish. I do not have a big enough pond right now and i know it (it's about 300 gallons at this point), but was curious if it was big enough for temporary housing for them (after they go through a quarantine period in my stock tank since i don't personally know where they are coming from i do not want to put them right in with my goldfish).

I do want to put in a bigger (above ground) koi pond but it won't be possible to do for at least one (maybe even two) season/s. Depends on how fast i can convince my parents, who are my landlords, that it is a necessary addition to the backyard.

If it's not a good idea to get them now, though, then i won't do it, but i was curious because i like free things. And i really want koi. And i think these ones are pretty. But the fish come first, of course, and i can be patient (my mom calls it me being impatiently patient lol because regular patience is a no-go for me lol.)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@TK9NY That's a tempting offer, but personally, I would wait, esp since you already have some GF. But that's just my opinion. 300 gals is really pushing it. If you can keep the water quality pristine [IOW, over filtered, over aerated], you might be able to do it, so I guess you have to weigh that against just how much you NEED these koi. You will be in a race with time until you can get larger quarters set up. Were you planning to eventually have koi? Koi grow BIG pretty fast, BUT I've heard that butterfly koi do tend to grow more slowly and not get as big.

Hmmmm, as I speak, I'm becoming tempted myself -- I'm such a hypocrite sometimes. How big is your QT? Could you accommodate something like an extra 300 gal stock tank? Or, do you have a basement? I'm thinking, a separate tank for them. There are companies [INTEX, I think], that make pools that I have read where koi keepers will temp house their fish during a build or a renovation. You are in NY, so you'd have to consider the weather conditions for anything outdoors.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Koi grow REMARKABLY fast. 300 gallons - great for a couple goldfish. There will always be other fish. I would wait until you can build the bigger pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Since you may have to wait a couple seasons, I would definitely not take them. You'll have fun thinking about picking some out, once your bigger pond is complete.

Ask a Question