Koi Pond newbie.

Reaction score
Hi

I just moved into my new house and the previous owner had built a beautiful raised koi pond. Unfortunately he took all his pump and filtration gear with them when they moved.

So as a newbie I tried to use the internet and common sense to buy some gear to get it running. Base on the volume of 2500 gallons, I brought the evolution aqua 1000 and a lotus green genie 48000 that has 2x 25watt U.V lamps. After running the system for a week it cleared the pond of I would say 80% of the algae and was pretty clear. So I decided to purchase my koi, 10 no. between 3-5 inches. I clean the filter out weekly and on my third week I noticed it's was starting to fail on clearing the algae. Iv double checked everything. It would seem that the U.V is not doing the job although it's all working fine.

I have a flow rate valve on the U.V inlet, so tried slowing it down so the water is passing the uv for slightly longer. Just waiting on the results.

Am I missing a trick here. I know the kit is not ideal, but spec wise it was enough to do the job temporarily until I could afford more and iv seen it working for a few weeks doing a good job.

Any advise is more than welcome.

Reaction score
Sorry, went in bull in a china shop. Never read the introduction info. I haven't done any water testing yet, but have just order the drop testing kit. I have lived here for 5 weeks and not changed the water yet, but have topped it up buy an inch a couple of times as I have notice the levels drop and my surface skimmer wasn't working efficiently. I live in the UK on the outskirts of London. Temperatures here are currently in the mid teens. (Degrees Celsius)

Pond shape is rectangle and is raised, W = 2.5m x L = 3.5m x D = 1.4 m. It's around 2500 gallons. I'll add a couple of pics.

I have my pump roughly mid depth centred against one the edges on the longest side. I also noticed a mistake on the pump I put in the original thread. It's 10000, not 1000.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 264
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 270

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Welcome!

I wonder if you're going through a cycling event, and your biological filtration hasn't caught up yet with the fish load. Algae bloom is normal in this situation. What happens is that your fish are producing more waste products [IOW, food/fertilizer] than your filter can convert, and that's feeding the algae.

You might stop feeding for a few days. Also, you probably need to do actual water exchanges rather than just topping off the pond.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
welcome and needs to catch up if it has been without filter and pump for any time and your temp .outside and water temps. will add to all that .The longer it is with out a pump and filter in heat the longer it will take to get every thing working again

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'm going to let it run for another week or so, see if it improves.

Would more frequent cleaning of the filter help. Iv been doing it weekly, but might change to 4-5 days, just till it settles.

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Would more frequent cleaning of the filter help. Iv been doing it weekly, but might change to 4-5 days, just till it settles.
Yes, that would help.
How much are you feeding your fish?
Also would help if you did a small water change.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome. I'm always amazed how many people sell their homes and don't tell the new owners what is necessary to run the pond! At any rate, welcome to our friendly forum :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It just amazes me also they take the pond equipment for there next pond and don't care about the fish they leave behind .good gosh just let them to die or the new owner rushing around trying to figure out what to do .

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
Welcome. I'm always amazed how many people sell their homes and don't tell the new owners what is necessary to run the pond!
That's what happened to me. I am sure that many pond owners deliberately do that because if they did tell the new owners how much work it was, it would sink the deal.

Owning a pond requires specialized knowledge and if the new owners are not into that kind of stuff, they would be better off filling it in.

It just amazes me also they take the pond equipment for there next pond and don't care about the fish they leave behind .good gosh just let them to die or the new owner rushing around trying to figure out what to do .
Ya, this sucks. How much can pond equipment be worth? A few hundred bucks at most for most simple ponds. If I were the new owner, I'd make them give me a thousand dollar off for that.

Ask a Question