Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I noticed in almost every video I see online of peoples koi the fish are always swimming slow and calm and don't seem to react too much to the presence of someone videoing. My koi are almost the opposite in my pond because they always swim very quickly and only hover around occasionally and when ever someone walks around the pond dart away quickly. Is this because they are still young ? Scared? or some other issue maybe?
@Dave 54

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Koi, by nature, are slow, no-big-hurry, swimmers that will occasionally exhibit short speed bursts.
Your Koi, from what you state, seem to be exhibiting 'predator response'.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
I don't have koi but my fish seem to recognize me, or at least my presence. I normally walk up slowly sometimes they will see me and slowly sink down to where they feel safe, other times they look right at me waiting for their handout. It's really hard to show others my fish because they stomp around to quickly waiting for a fish to jump up into their hands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
I have two large ghost koi, three big golden orfe and a couple dozen smaller mixed orfe/goldfish/ shubunkins, all are very tame especially the koi which can be hand fed. Several taps on the rocky pond surrounds with a well placed foot bring them all swimming up close searching for food pellets. They say that fish have a limited brain capacity and consequently the memory of a gnat, but they certainly know when food is around, they never fail!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I dont have Koi but my goldfish were skittish for a few months in the new pond. I tried to sit down and feed them and look at them, spend time with them (always!!) and after a few months they are now just swim calmly by (only in the morning when they know I have food they swim like the dog wagging tail!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hand fed mine from the very beginning so thety would not be scared of people .I get people here that love to pet the fish .The more they see you the more they get used to you .My fish even love to kiss my chihuahuas .i have to get a video of it but it is hard to do when you are trying to keep the chihuahua from falling in the pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The koi in my ponds are very friendly to me. They swim quickly towards me when I approach the ponds but if I bring strangers the go deeper and won't eat till they've gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My 6 koi hear the screen door on my deck open and close and know when I'm standing above them on the deck. They also respond to my normal "call" as I'm heading down the deck stairs to feed them. I say "Hiya Fish" and most always they stop whatever they're doing, turn around, and dart over to their feeding spot.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have to agree with Meyer on this your fish for some reason or other are exibiting a preditor response , is there a way you can get a security camerera or stills camera by the pond to see just what is happening here.
what are your water perameters by the way ?

Dave

Ask a Question