Lily not blooming

Reaction score
I had 2 Almost Black lilies last year and one did not do well over the winter so I ordered a Black Princess lily online that came bare root. i planted it in a oil pan with top soil and seemed to be very doing well with alot of pads but I havent got one bloom yet. They both get fertilizer tabs and are both in oil pans, the only different that I can think of is the one that is blooming from last year is it is still in the clay soil that it was in when I bought it with some top soil around it in the pan. Any thoughts?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@addy1
@minnowman
@adavisus

I know these guys have lots of experience with water lilies. Maybe they can help.

But for some reason the lilies do seem to do better [by some accounts] when planted in the clay-type soils. Perhaps, in their natural environment, the substrate would be a heavier soil -- no idea, but it's a thought.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
When did you plant the new one? I have 2 lilies that came bare root and I planted in early June and one is just now sending up buds and the other only bloomed a week or so ago. I think it takes a while for them to really recover and rebuild, especially if you get a smaller rhizome.

Reaction score
When did you plant the new one? I have 2 lilies that came bare root and I planted in early June and one is just now sending up buds and the other only bloomed a week or so ago. I think it takes a while for them to really recover and rebuild, especially if you get a smaller rhizome.

I think it was in may, pretty early. It is constantly sending up new pads but no buds. Right now the other one (almost black) has 2 new buds coming up and already had one about 3 weeks ago but nothing on the black princess and from what I read it is suppose to be a more prolific bloomer than the almost black. Last year I only had one bloom on each AB wich is why i went with the BP to replace the one that didnt make it over the winter. From what iv read on here alot of people seem to use top soil and dont seem to have a problem, im stumped. Altho it was pretty small when i got it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
No clue, all I do is put them in kitty litter with some osmocote.

Ask a Question