Little white maggot looking things at the bottom of my pond!!!

Reaction score
Hello all I am new here and am in need of desperate help. I have an outdoor pond with a couple of koi in it not very deep five feet at the most. Today I noticed at the bottom of my pond little white maggot looking things, they do not move but they just sit at the bottom of the pond, I took one out and sacrificed it to better examine it and when I did a jelly like substance came out. Can anyone help me in regards to this matter I don't want my fish to get sick or die.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Svteric1
I haven't a clue......................better call in the feds
Can you provide a photo of the maggot,how big they are and where do you live?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
[QUOTE="Svteric1, post: 217483, member: 6483"Today I noticed at the bottom of my pond little white maggot looking things, they do not move but they just sit at the bottom of the pond.[/QUOTE]

Please post a picture of them so we've got an idea of what they look like.
How big are they and are they alive? I know certain times of the year grubs will go into the water because its a source of warmth and then they drown.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
yes can you get a sample out of the pond and photo it first so that we can have a good look to see if anyone recognies it , its most probably a larva of some sort or even snail eggs or something other

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum! im with everyone else on this. Oh and 5 feet deep is pretty darn deep for a pond......just saying

Not really 5 foot is the ideal depth for a koi pond with 4 foot being the lower end of the scale :D

Dave

Reaction score
Not really

Not really 5 foot is the ideal depth for a koi pond

Dave

I can bet the majority of us are sitting at around 2-3 feet, 5 feet is pretty darn deep generally speaking. I don't know of any people right now who have a 5 foot deep pond so from my perspective it is pretty darn deep.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can bet the majority of us are sitting at around 2-3 feet, 5 feet is pretty darn deep generally speaking. I don't know of any people right now who have a 5 foot deep pond so from my perspective it is pretty darn deep.
It is all about perspective...........mine is 5.5 feet deep, the deep end, so for me that is normal lol

Welcome to our group!

Reaction score
It is all about perspective...........mine is 5.5 feet deep, the deep end, so for me that is normal lol

Welcome to our group!

See that's my exact point though, from my perspective, that is DEEP, but you guys don't see it that way (which is fine of course).

BTW what has you up so late?

Reaction score
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Update guys, so I looked today and they were in fact moving and swimming around as you can see they are small and white but have a black circle on their bodies. Can anyone advise me in what I should do. Sorry for the late reply and thank you all for your time.

Best,

Reaction score
I think they might be water beetle larvae. They aren't dangerous to big fish but will kill any fry in the pond. Although i cant be 100% sure.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Maybe take them out and put them in a jar of pond water and watch and see what they turn in to. As it is they look like they could be just about any kind of larvae. Hard to tell. If you have a wild pond somewhere you could put them maybe it would ease your mind about them hurting your fish and also not hurting them. Would be interesting to see what they turn into.

Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea jw.
And my pond is 5ft deep, which dave is correct, is ideal for koi ( not so much goldfish) in my zone 4-5ft. Although I did this so I would not have to heat the pond at all.

Ask a Question