Looking for the best LED lights for the buck

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I bought a set (4) low voltage LED lights from Home Depot. Came with a remote and was able to change the colors of the LEDs from the remote. The lights lasted 3 days and broke. Needless to say I will be returning and not getting the same ones. To be honest I didnt feel they were bright enough anyway. Does anyone know of a brand of LED lights that are cotrolled via remote and are actually bright and high quality for a decent price?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Does the beam of light travel a good distance? Im assuming you can keep tying into the lights with more sets if you are completing your perimeter or do you have to use its own outlet for each set?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I would say these lights are more for effect than illuminating the entire pond. If I had to hazard a guess, the beam might travel a foot or so. I have them down about 12 inches, pointed slightly down. If you point them slightly up, they can be a bit glaring (at my depth). I use 6 along the one side of my roughly 18' pond and 4 nestled at each level of the waterfall. I'm planning on the latest set to be used on the opposite side, to give a bit more balance and illumination. It's interesting to see the fish swim through the beams though--they look so ghostly! But as the plants begin covering the surface, some of the effect is lost. Still, they work well and are durable beside being nicely priced.

Michael

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Wow. Thank you for that awesome reply with all that info. I am going to buy 4 sets to make it around the entire circumference of my pond and place two on each level
of the waterfall behind the cascade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have had better luck with cheaper made lights like jebao, etc. than Lowes or HD brands which are wayyyy to expensive and don't last very long. I have 2 Sets similar to Brokenswords, One is a 4 piece set and the other is a 6 piece set, both with 3' between lights. The caps screw on and off with a rubber seal around the thread tip inside. You can line them each with clear marine sealant then screw them on to make sure they last longer without collecting water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I've had two sets of these now for 3 years; have worked flawlessly. Just ordered another set to complete the perimeter of my pond. You have to manually change out the front filter re colors, but once I found the color I liked, I haven't changed.

They're also priced the lowest per unit, from my research.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-5-Je...424?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e6eb03c58

Michael

Site is not active. Can you tell me what the brand is and where I might research for them? Thanks

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
brokensword hasn't posted in a long time. The lights were Jebao brand.They are available on Amazon as well as other sites. Just make sure if you are planning on putting them underwater that they are rated IP68 not IP67. A little clear silicone around the lens will help them last longer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5/6
Country
United States
I have had better luck with cheaper made lights like jebao, etc. than Lowes or HD brands which are wayyyy to expensive and don't last very long. I have 2 Sets similar to Brokenswords, One is a 4 piece set and the other is a 6 piece set, both with 3' between lights. The caps screw on and off with a rubber seal around the thread tip inside. You can line them each with clear marine sealant then screw them on to make sure they last longer without collecting water.
Do you still like Jebao Lights or have you sense found other lights that you like better now?

Ask a Question