Looking for tips

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Hello all I am brand new on this site. My husband is in the process of building my pond it will be roughly a 1200 gallon as I want place fish in it. We live in PA & I am trying to do as much research as possible to insure healthy fish. Would appreciate any tips all of you with experience have. I am thinking of starting with shubunkin. Is that a good choice?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Lisa

I love Shubunkins and have a few. If I had it to do over again I would choose mostly them. Now I have too many orange goldfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Welcome. I love shubunkin, they come is such a variety of colors and their tails are long a flowing.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Shubunkins will be a great choice, mine survived the New England weather. Feel free to post pictures of the pond progress.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a (10 - 15 degrees F)
Country
United States
I agree... aside from koi I have one huge shubunkin, and I think they are magnificent! Beautiful colors and epic tails. Plus they get nice and big! That's my Shubie (Clive) in the upper part of the photo.

tancho 1.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
If there is one thing many of us maybe regret, it was buying blah goldfish when we first initiated our ponds. Of course, we don't want to get rid of them, they become our pets! But, as JW said, many of us have plain goldfish, when we could have "chosen" prettier red/white goldfish from the same "feeder" tanks and at least had a variety of color. Shubunkins are gorgeous, my favorites in my goldfish pond, too. Choose your first fish like they will be extremely special ... because they will be. :) You don't have to buy large ones, keep an eye out for when your pet store or supply place gets new fish in, or ask them what day they come in. Then, go be one of the first to pick and choose when the time is right for your pond.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Fit a bottom drain on your pond that way your filters will take all the muck from the bottom of the pond and you wont have to get in the pond and clean the bottom by Pond Vac I also recomend you go as deep as you can 4.5ft to 5ft in depth .
Koi are nice fish to keep as well as goldfish however be aware that they do grow quite large so you'll need an outlet to sell them on at a later date

Dave

Ask a Question