Lotus starts and / or seeds

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
I have noticed there isn't much talk here about lotus'. Has anyone here had or have lotus in their ponds, and what kind of results have you had with them? It is possible to get seeds for lotus and start from seeds?

I know from what little I have read that there are hardy and tropical as well as hundreds of varieties.

So far there aren't any nursaries around here that I can go look at and select a loyus plant.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have one ,its the third season,,they are slow to go, never had a bloom yet ,but a great plant...some one gave me part of a tube

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Thanks for the response. I have been having some trouble finding someone who can give some straight answers to my questions about the raising of lotus. Thanks for letting me know what your experience has been with lotus. Which somewhat explains what I just found out about them.

To start, I drove out of town today to talk to a Linda at Linda's water gardens. Linda was more than willing to give me the low down on raising lotus in the Northwest.

First off, lotus need to be four feet deep in a pond becease the roots need to be in deep cool water. In a shallower pond the roots can potentially get to warm (or hot as she put it), die and start to rot.

According to Linda, all lotus are tropical. So they have to be taken in and out of the weather in the late fall before they can freeze. If they freeze they will rot.

Linda proceeded to share that from experience to many people don't want to take care of their lotus and let them freeze and die.

Ask a Question