Magnetic impeller pump keeps breaking

Reaction score
My second pump this year just broke, and in the same way as the first.

Both times I opened it up and saw that the magnetic impeller piece has carved a sizeable hole into its casing and is sitting lopsided, unable to spin.

The first time I figured that maybe I didn't treat the pump well, so this time I made sure to clean the filters frequently, never pull by the electrical cord, and all that good stuff. So when the second pump broke today, I am left stumped.

My pond is a small one, about two feet at its deepest, and six by six In a circle. Maybe 400 gallons. The pump is rated for up to 800 gallons.

The pond has floating plants, some marginals, 7 goldfish and some mosquito fish and trapdoor snails. When I skim the bottom with a net, I find a lot of hair algae, but not a lot of dead organic material. The water is green. The pump was hooked up to a course filter and a bio filter. I tried a fine filter, but it clogged multiple times a day. I experimented with setting it up on the water fall rocks (not pretty, but easier to clean)

~~~~~~~

So, my ultimate question is: am I still somehow mistreating the pump, or do I just have bad luck? I am ordering a similar pump from a different brand, and really don't want to destroy a third one.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
grit can get in the pump and do that but is it the same brand because I have never had a pump do that .

Reaction score
The brand was Beckett, which I thought was a decent one. Both pumps were the same. I didn't find anything weird in the impeller itself, either time. There might be bits of clay soil in the water from the original digging, could that do it?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have several small beckets and never had a problem with them .I would contact becket or where you bought them .They could be defective .One of my beckets is from my house in NJ and it is close to 20 years old .Check the serial numbers to see if they match it could be beckets problem

Ask a Question