MAILING PLANTS -- TROPICAL LILIES IN PARTICULAR

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My tropical lily, ISLAMORADA, was a prolific parent! But rather than try to over-winter all of the plants I ended up with, I have an "adoptive parent" from GPF I want to send plants to.

1 -- What's the best time during their "growing cycle" to send them? Well, not that it matters so much NOW, as time is running out, but for future reference.
Is it better to send them when they are leafed-out plants or after you gather the tubers in fall?

2 -- I'm most concerned about the temperatures, since it's so hot, and am assuming that plants in the mail are susceptible to effects of the heat. Plants I have ordered online came with a cold-pack wrapped in with the plants. Would that help? Or is wrapping them in moist newspaper enough?
HOW "moist" should the newspaper be?

3 -- Is USPS PRIORITY MAIL the best way to send plants? And would assume that getting them out on a Monday would be ideal.

4 -- Is there anything else I should know? Are there any restrictions to sending plants via mail -- talking about "in general," and not including the state-RESTRICTED plants.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wrap in wet newspaper, put in plastic bag, stick in priority or flat rate box and ship. They should be fine

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had some tropicals shipped to me a month or so ago, around 90-100 degrees, they did just fine.

Ask a Question