Massive Leak in Bog Filter. Need advice

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi Folks,

I've unfortunately developed a good sized leak in my 100 gallon bog filter and I'm not sure why it happened or how to prevent it in the future.

Fixing it temporarily is easy. I've already ordered a small pond liner but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if this is normal because I was really shocked to see something this sturdy develop a leak in less than 2 years so before I go out and buy another one I was hoping to get some ideas on whether or not I should or should I be looking for another solution.

The only thing I didn't have was a footer underneath it but I never thought it would shift enough to spring a leak 3/4 of the way down. (last ring from the bottom)

Here are some pics.

20160624_193614_zpsvxkx1a7x.jpg

20160624_193558_zpssxjyd29z.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It may have had just enough uneven in the bottom to allow stress on the lower part. I put my two tubs partway in the ground and a layer of sand or rock dust under the bottom leveled until every part of the bottom is touching. No gap for shifting or strain. Best guess here

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
It may have had just enough uneven in the bottom to allow stress on the lower part. I put my two tubs partway in the ground and a layer of sand or rock dust under the bottom leveled until every part of the bottom is touching. No gap for shifting or strain. Best guess here

I used to put a thin rock on top as you can see in the waterfall in the back. Can that weight be added back if there is a footer for it to stand on?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bunch of rock around my tub, so far no issues (4 years or so) Do you have any extra dirt laying around? build a dirt berm around the bottom, plant some rocks in the dirt and some ground covers. It will support the sides and give a nice cover to the tub.

I would think you could put the rock back on, maybe try to have support rocks to hold a bunch of the weight, keep it light on the tub.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've drained the tub and found a massive amount of slimy dirt concentrated in one area. I'm sure thats where the leak is. If you are looking at the last picture its to the left of the brick in the front.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
During your redo, how about putting a side "bottom" drain. When I used a tub similar to that for my bog at another pond, I drilled in a 2 inch drain so I could empty out the bottom stuff. I used a shower drain, gooped it up good, put in a two inch piece of pvc with a ball valve. I would open the ball valve and back flush it now and then (when I remembered and felt like it, no real schedule).

That would keep the goop level down. I always got a bunch of goop, used it to water the plants, or just drain out into the yard.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had a 150 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank crack this year. I had it up on blocks and they settled over winter and the tank twisted. I was able to patch it and put the tank up on a wood base.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I've toyed with the idea of having a brick guy I know put in a brick bog to replace it with a 6 inch footer. any issue with that?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That should work, you want the bottom stable and no shifting. I know that is why my small preform cracked.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
That should work, you want the bottom stable and no shifting. I know that is why my small preform cracked.

Ok I've got a really weird idea the wife just came up with. We have an old jacuzzi we aren't using. How hard would that be to drill an intake and waterfall hole? Of course it would need a footer. I would probably buy a liner for it too.

Ask a Question