Maturing my pond & how many fish?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
SO...after a long few months of digging & bricking the liner is finally installed and the pond has been filled..

Now the work starts.. what is the best method of maturing the pond and how long should i leave the pond before i add any fish?

Then onto the next question.. How many fish will i be able to have in my pond as i have had a variety of different answers (although some only thinking about the money) my pond is around 700 gallons, the pond dimensions are 5.5 feet x 5.5 feet and around 4 feet deep. Obviously was hoping a mixture of goldfish/comets/shubunkins and the odd tench maybe?

Thirdly.... there isn't a definitive shelf so what is/are the best plants to put in that can sit at the bottom of the pond?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure i get everything right for the fishies sake!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'll start with number three - the only plants that can sit at the bottom of a four foot deep pond are water lilies. Everything else either floats or gets planted in shallow water at the margins of the pond. I can't see the pictures you posted - do you have rocks on the edge of your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
There will be rocks/pebbles on the edge of the pond yes, was thinking of countering a plant pot on either side of the pond so that I can hold it mid water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, counter balance it so it's suspended

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well that would be interesting! My engineering skills are zero, so I'll watch this with great interest! My first thought is - how do you counterbalance when the weight will steadily increase on the pot end? Which might be a dumb question - as I said... Engineering skills are non-existent!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Foxy93 NEVER, NEVER, NEVER apologize for asking questions.....NEVER!!

OK, so that's my "rant" for the day.

Here is a web site that gives a basic idea as to fish loads. This is for koi and goldfish [Shubunkins and comets ARE goldfish -- they're just breeds of GF], so have no idea how tench would fit into the equation. This is a general calculator, but does give a place to start. http://www.your-garden-ponds-center.com/fish-load-calculator.html

As to how to "mature" the pond, well, you have to add fish for that to happen. I didn't read the other answers, so hope I'm not repeating anyone. You might start by adding a few GF and let the nitrogen cycle get started. [This is where a test kit comes in handy as you can monitor the ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates to actually SEE when it's mature]. Add fish gradually. It can take weeks or months for a pond to cycle or mature.

Best wishes!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This might be a good time to clarify a couple of terms. 'Fish Load' refers to the total fish biomass that a pond contains. ';Fish Density' refers to the number of fish per unit of volume (gallons, cubic foot. cubic meter).
The total fish biomass that a pond can support is in direct relation to the total amount of biofiltration available (SSA). The highest fish density that a pond can support depends on specie of fish. Schooling fish can tolerate a higher density than non-schooling fish. As density increases, stress increases until a tipping point is reached resulting in wide-spread health issues.
In determining number of fish a pond will support, 'Fish Load' should be the first consideration. This is not determined by inches per gallon or inches per any physical measurement.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
700 gallons... calculate 20 gallons per goldfish, that's 35 goldfish assuming you have filtration for a pond twice that size and the pond is established for a year.

I would start with 3 goldfish and add one goldfish every 2 weeks.

Make sure you got an aerator, your pond is deep.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Oh and I would not stock 35... I would keep mine at 25-30 to give them more space to grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Well that would be interesting! My engineering skills are zero, so I'll watch this with great interest! My first thought is - how do you counterbalance when the weight will steadily increase on the pot end? Which might be a dumb question - as I said... Engineering skills are non-existent!

Well the.counterweight will be compacted under soil so should hold it steady. Looking at adding a 1-2 of each gf then take it from there.. Exciting times!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
If I wanted to end up with 30 I would start with two. Add water. And let nature take its course.

Ask a Question